bad blocks cause errors ?

G

I have problems uncompressing large UHA-files. After 15 minutes I get a blue screen and a write error. With other UHA-files the computer reboots or crashes. I performed a scandisk with norton disk doctor and it showed 3 bad blocks (FAT32 win98). Is my harddrive corrupted ?

G

Yves, am I to take it from your post that you have a compressed hdd?, if so why?, Usually if you do a scandisk then Win (If its Win scandisk) will tell you about the bad sectors and flag them so you cant write to them, not sure about if its compressed, I can only imagine what would happen if the bad sectors were in the compression controller program, something like that would give nightmares for weeks

G

sounds like that HD is going bad to me
Bad sectors are a nightmare. Save what you can and get a new HD

G

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I'll just buy a new harddrive and we'll see from then on. My harddrive is a one-year old Quantum Fireball KA 7200 rpm and my MB an Abit BE6 ATA 66. I don't use disk compression. It is however strange that I never have errors, I only have problems with the DOS-based UHA-files and sometimes Windows crashes when I delete large folders. Maybe the UHA-program doesn't care about bad blocks, or maybe there are bad blocks in my swap file.

G

i used to like Quantums, and the first 2 hdd's I brought were Quantums, one is still running, the other one broke the locator device for the heads and its in my cupboard, Next hdd i think Ill get a IBM

G

If your HD is 1 year old, sent it back to quantum and get another one. I had a 2 yrs old HD from Quantum that had bad sector, so I looked up the warrantee @ quantum's website and return it to them for another one.