Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

I have a new Gateway 614GE with one of those double layer
Samsung TSST corp TS-H552B DVD burners. I am using
Nero 6 to burn DVDs. I have tried burning at 8x, 4x, and
even 2x. I have tried to burn video and data DVDs.
I have Nero set to check the data after burning. Nero ends
up with a bad data alert error every time.

I have turned off all other running programs on the computer.
Still Nero ends up with a bad data alert message.

Is there a particular different brand of blank DVD that I
should try or should I just ask Gateway for a new DVD
burner?

Try going to the manufacturer's (Samsung) web site and look for any
specifications applicable to that particular drive. I had a computer
delivered that would only accept dvd's from two specific manufacturers and
it was so defined in the specs. (However, to be completely honest, I later
had to get a warranty replacement due to a different problem and it isn't so
fussy - it's a great world.)

Good luck,

"Miles" <webmilesremove@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a new Gateway 614GE with one of those double layer
> Samsung TSST corp TS-H552B DVD burners. I am using
> Nero 6 to burn DVDs. I have tried burning at 8x, 4x, and
> even 2x. I have tried to burn video and data DVDs.
> I have Nero set to check the data after burning. Nero ends
> up with a bad data alert error every time.
>
> I have turned off all other running programs on the computer.
> Still Nero ends up with a bad data alert message.
>
> Is there a particular different brand of blank DVD that I
> should try or should I just ask Gateway for a new DVD
> burner?

When I got my new Gateway,it had that burner in it also. I had
nothing but problems with it and never was able to burn anything.
Finally Gateway sent me a NEC burner to put in place of the Samsung
and I have had no problems since.

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:57:44 -0700, "Miles" <webmilesremove@cox.net>
wrote:

>I have a new Gateway 614GE with one of those double layer
>Samsung TSST corp TS-H552B DVD burners. I am using
>Nero 6 to burn DVDs. I have tried burning at 8x, 4x, and
>even 2x. I have tried to burn video and data DVDs.
>I have Nero set to check the data after burning. Nero ends
>up with a bad data alert error every time.
>
>I have turned off all other running programs on the computer.
>Still Nero ends up with a bad data alert message.
>
>Is there a particular different brand of blank DVD that I
>should try or should I just ask Gateway for a new DVD
>burner?

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

What brand and model did Gateway replace it with?
Dick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Miles" wrote:
>I have a new Gateway 614GE with one of those double layer
> Samsung TSST corp TS-H552B DVD burners. I am using
> Nero 6 to burn DVDs. I have tried burning at 8x, 4x, and
> even 2x. I have tried to burn video and data DVDs.
> I have Nero set to check the data after burning. Nero ends
> up with a bad data alert error every time.
>
> I have turned off all other running programs on the computer.
> Still Nero ends up with a bad data alert message.
>
> Is there a particular different brand of blank DVD that I
> should try or should I just ask Gateway for a new DVD
> burner?

The original (defective) and replacement were both NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A
drives. I have had no further problems with the replacement unit.
Tom