May 29, 2021
Hello everyone, I’m VERY new to PC’s and have just built my first one a few months back. I’ve recently been having trouble with my computer and have asked around in other places, which have advised me that the issue might be a bad GPU.

This is because the PC will run fine for ~90 minutes to 2 hours before the video output cuts out (and is unable to restart again) and it has to be turned off by holding the power button. To be more specific, when it last crashed the video came back on twice before cutting out for the last time and it played the “foreground” sound effect. After turning it back on it will usually freeze while during the phase of booting up where it shows the logo of the motherboard manufacturer and has the little spinning circle. When I get it to automatic repair, it (usually) gives a BSOD cannot be repaired and has to have a fresh copy of windows installed after wiping the SSD. There was one or two cases in which it didn’t have a BSOD and I was actually able to use it as normal though.

I’m also unable to monitor the GPU temps because it crashes when installing the Radeon software/drivers from their website. I’m assuming this is the reason the various tools I’ve tried don’t recognize the card.

For some context, a few months back the power to my house would randomly cut out (I live in a very rural area) due to bad equipment and I believed that could have been the problem, so I bought a new, higher quality PSU and installed that, as well as a new surge protector but the PSU didn’t help at all.

I have also checked my ram and all of the slots to make sure that wasn’t the problem.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: ASROCK Radeon rx 5500 xt 8gb
RAM: 2x OLOY Warhawk 8gb
MB: ASROCK Steel Legend B450m
PSU: Corsair RM 650x

Lutfij

Titan
Did you have another PSU prior to the Corsair RM650x? If so, please parse the make and model of that unit. Which slots are the rams populating? Could you check and see what your temps are when the issue crops up? Use HWMonitor to keep an eye on temps. As for the OS, what version are you on? Ideally you should be on version 21H1. I'm leaning more towards either the power source in your house being the issue. Can you get a certified electrician over to scope the wiring in your house? If you have a grounding issue, you can and will experience BSOD's sudden lockups.

To rule out your GPU as the culprit, you will need to take your GPU and drop it into a donor system. If the same issue crops up there, then the issue is the GPU, if not, then I'd look at the source of your power or your motherboard.

Reactions: spentshells
May 29, 2021
Sorry for the long response time, I've been really busy.

Yes I did have a psu, it was the Thermaltake Smart 500w. The RAM sticks are in A2 and B2. I can't check thermals because the GPU loses its after reinstalling windows (I think) and I have to re-download them. The problem is that it crashes before I can download them.

Im not sure how to check what version of windows im on.

I was also thinking that I could buy an inexpensive GPU just to get a video output and see if the system works that way because I don't have any other systems I could really stick my GPU in. Would that work?