Bad PSU - Stuttering in games

Apekss

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Hello everyone. I want to ask a simple question. Can a bad quality PSU be the reason for lower fps and stuttering in games? My fps drop after some time I have the game open and that's when the stuttering starts as well.

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017

That shouldn't be the issue, a PSU works or it doesn't. There's really no in between. It might be an issue with your CPU or GPU. Depends on how old your hardware is.

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017

Can you tell me what CPU and GPU you have? And how strong/weak your PSU is?
The components really only run when they have enough power. When underpowered then they'll just not respond.

If the PSU couldn't provide enough power for the system, your PC wouldn't boot, or would start to boot & then "poof", the PSU fails and in so doing often takes other components down with it (the GPU is often the unfortunate victim).

So it's not the PSU which is causing the stuttering/low FPS.

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017

I don't see Windows or the PSU be a problem. Did you try reïnstalling Nvidia drivers? (Clean installation)

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017

If there are packs and packs of dust in your pc it could result in higher temps on your hardware which can lead to stuttering.
You might want to clean that if it's really bad! Further more, if you didn't try it, reinstall those Nvidia or AMD drivers. I solved a problem of mine like that. But that was a game booting problem.

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017

Then try the drivers. If that doesn't solve it, check if you have the same issue in other high demanding games. As I said before, it might just be drivers or the game not being 100% optimized.

Apekss

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
That mostly happens after some minutes of playing. Half an hour or so. I think I will try a single player game and repeat the same mission for some time so I can check my fps and the stuttering because I only play multiplayer games atm.

adiec

Honorable

what i am asking is.. does this happen whilst playing a specific game. or does it happen in every game you play ? just trying to narrow down the problem. could it be a problem with your internet connection? im assuming the multiplayer games are not LAN ?

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017

Internet connection can't cause stuttering, connection issues cause disconnects and such.. Stuttering is a problem with the software or underpowered hardware like the CPU/GPU

Apekss

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
I also reinstall it but still the same thing. I read a lot of people complaining about fps and stuttering in the game lately but the thing is I just got my 144hz monitor and when it is going full smooth it feels so damn good but then after stuttering and it's hard for me to track players.

Wulffz

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017

When many people are complaining about it then it might be a game update or driver update that messed with the game.

adiec

Honorable

you have obviously never tried playing fifa online. other people with a combination of terrible latency plus old age cpus that barely meet the requirements cause terrible stutter and lag. plus it has been known for people to start downloads whilst playing online games to cause fragmented gameplay.