• Intel I9 10900k Comet Lake
  • Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 8GB
  • MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY
  • NZXT Kraken Z73
  • Corsair Vengeance pro DDR4 32GB ram
  • Corsair CX750W gold
  • Force MP510 SSD
  • Over 10 TB hard drive space
  • And i would like to upgrade gpu to either 30 or 40 series as it struggles to run Hell divers 2. a recent bios update said it supports pcie 4 in slot 1 but i do not know if this holds true and do not want to damage or bottle neck. any help is appreciated.

So my specs are currently
  • NZXT H710
  • MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY
  • NZXT Kraken Z73
  • Corsair CX750W gold
  • Force MP510 SSD
  • And i would like to upgrade gpu to either 30 or 40 series as it struggles to run Hell divers 2. a recent bios update said it supports pcie 4 in slot 1 but i do not know if this holds true and do not want to damage or bottle neck. any help is appreciated.
Hey there,

Your system is still plenty capable. You could go for the 4070 Super/4080 Super. Great bump for you. You could also go for a 3080ti.

Basically, your system can take any modern GPU. You might need to swap out the PSU for something more reliable.

Reactions: VenomousTKN

logainofhades

Titan
There is no such thing as a CX 750w gold. CX were bronze, TX are Gold. If it is truly a CX model, it needs replaced before you consider a faster GPU. Do not worry about gen 3 bottlenecking a gen 4 GPU. An RTX 4090 can just barely saturate a gen 3 x16 slot. A bottleneck will never damage anything either. Looking at the system requirements, your system should be plenty, for that game, unless maybe you are playing at a high resolution. Need a budget.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Mar 4, 2024
There is no such thing as a CX 750w gold. CX were bronze, TX are Gold. If it is truly a CX model, it needs replaced before you consider a faster GPU. Do not worry about gen 3 bottlenecking a gen 4 GPU. An RTX 4090 can just barely saturate a gen 3 x16 slot. A bottleneck will never damage anything either. Looking at the system requirements, your system should be plenty, for that game, unless maybe you are playing at a high resolution. Need a budget.
yes it is a bronze sorry for the mistake i run on low settings like the lowest of all and its like a slide show

Mar 4, 2024
Hey there,

Your system is still plenty capable. You could go for the 4070 Super/4080 Super. Great bump for you. You could also go for a 3080ti.

Basically, your system can take any modern GPU. You might need to swap out the PSU for something more reliable.
what about the psu will it be okay

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
https://www.msi.com/blog/recommended-psu-table

Comet Lake i9 can draw >250W during PL2/ turbo. I wouldn’t go higher than a 4070 Super with your existing PSU.

i9+4070S: 250W+220W = 470W peak
i9+4080S: 250W+320W = 570W peak

If you consider "60% of the capacity as the true maximum capacity" (and often the peak efficiency point), then a 750W PSU is max/optimal when delivering 450W.

EDIT: Changed the CPU power draw. 10900K has 250W PL2 at boost, with some motherboards pushing 330W. Source

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0
That depends on what card you get. As @NedSmelly mentioned the stronger GPU's have higher power spikes. Essentially that means that at almost any given point while gaming (normally underload) the transient power spikes can trip over protections on PSU's. Even good ones. The CX line is bog standard, and I wouldn't have it in a proper gaming build. Maybe as a stop gap, but nothing more.

The good news is that there are lots of quality PSU's out there. And a lot that fall under 100$. That might seem like a lot, but the PSU is the heart of your system, and with more power hungry components, you need something that can handle those spikes.

I would be using something at least 850w, like Corsair RM/RMX/RMe/TXM, or MSI MPG 850. Also there's the SuperFlower Ledex III, EVGA G5/G6, among many others. These will all come with a minimum of a 7 year warranty, but typically 10 years. They are made with quality parts.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX

logainofhades

Titan
yes it is a bronze sorry for the mistake i run on low settings like the lowest of all and its like a slide show

Then I would say you have an issue either with overheating, bad driver, or maybe your windows installation. You are well above the recommended requirements already. If your windows install is a few years old, I would backup everything you have, and then do a fresh install.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/helldivers-2/22862

HELLDIVERS 2 Recommended Requirements​

• CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT

Reactions: thestryker
Mar 4, 2024
https://www.msi.com/blog/recommended-psu-table

Comet Lake i9 can draw >250W during PL2/ turbo. I wouldn’t go higher than a 4070 Super with your existing PSU.

i9+4070S: 250W+220W = 470W peak
i9+4080S: 250W+320W = 570W peak

If you consider "60% of the capacity as the true maximum capacity" (and often the peak efficiency point), then a 750W PSU is max/optimal when delivering 450W.

EDIT: Changed the CPU power draw. 10900K has 250W PL2 at boost, with some motherboards pushing 330W. Source
so would an rtx 4070 strix be too over kill

id typically like to remain Nvidia
In latest gpu generation Nvidia has very customer unfriendly pricing policy.
Unless you're going after ultra high end performance (like RTX 4090) or
your workload depends on Nvidia specific technologies (like RTX/DLSS/CUDA), then
there's very little reason to stick with Nvidia this time.

They have to do better. Only way to show them this is by voting with your money.

Mar 4, 2024
In latest gpu generation Nvidia has very customer unfriendly pricing policy.
Unless you're going after ultra high end performance (like RTX 4090) or
your workload depends on Nvidia specific technologies (like RTX/DLSS/CUDA), then
there's very little reason to stick with Nvidia this time.

They have to do better. Only way to show them this is by voting with your money.
so what nvidia card as im looking at the strix 4070

Mar 4, 2024
My recommendation was in post #17.
RX 7800 XT has
better price,​
better performance in non RTX workloads,​
more vram (16GB vs 12GB on 4070).​
For price of 4070 strix you can probably get RX 7900 XT.
It will run circles around 4070.
yes but as id like to remain nvidia, which nvidia would be good as i do not like radeon cards

Mar 4, 2024
  • NZXT H710
  • MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY
  • NZXT Kraken Z73
  • Corsair CX750W gold
  • Force MP510 SSD

looking at a strix 4070, but would like toknow of cheaper alternatives that give similar if not the same performance

NOTE: i wish to remain Nvidia not any AMD cards.