DavidHoerner

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
Okay so everything in my system is brand new parts now except for my gigabyte auros extreme 1080ti, samsung evo 850 ssd, and my 1tb western digital hard disk drive. New parts include
-z390 aorus pro wifi motherboard
-evga supernove 850 w 80plus gold
-2 corsair vengeance 8gb ram sticks
-corsair h100i cpu cooler
- i7 9700k

so i put everything together and go to start her up and all fans and leds on motherboard, fans and pump turn on and my gpu seems to be running aswell. But after maybe like 30 seconds it shuts down and starts the process all over. Now during all of this the bottom right red light indicating dram is on and every now and again makes a real quick blip to the cpu light and back to dram. I have tried replacing ram, using only slots 2-4,1-3,Only using a single ram stick. But still the dram light is on and goes into this boot loop. I cant even get it to actually boot, and on top of this the usb ports arent working so my keyboard and such isnt turning on either and obviously nothings coming through to the monitor. I have gone through and made sure all connections are good and clicked all the way in, disconnected and reconnected everything probably 3 times now, also did the cmos reset thing as a last resort by touching the 2 pins with a screwdriver head. Cannot figure this out someone please help me its driving me insane as this is my main gaming and work computer.
-not sure if it matters but my os is on the 850 evo but i cant even get to the boot menu

Solution
I knew, because I was speaking from experience - but I didn't ruin any pins.

Some manuals lack details on how much, or how far to tighten the coolers. Like, will the screws 'stop on their own', or do I do X number of full turns... what?
The Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora is one such cooler. It literally tells me to tighten the 4 motherboard socket screws by hand, and nothing more.
At least with my old NH-D15S, the screws stop on their own, but that Eisbaer... a bit inconvenient that one is.

DavidHoerner

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2014
Take the cpu cooler off and the cpu out and check the socket for bent pins.
If all clear, put it all back, but do not tighten the cpu cooler so much, because over-tightening the cooler can definitely do what you described.
Sorry this took so long but you were absolutely right, tightened a little to much and bent some pins to the point of no return....bought a replacement mobo and put everything back together, still same problem. so took the cooler off and put it back on, only tightened as much as i could with my fingers and then one half twist each with a screwdriver, felt like it should tighten more with how easily they could be turned more but it stayed in place and makes good contact, and it ended up working :). Thank you so much that was driving me absolutley crazy lol, never thought the cooler being a bit to tight would cause a problem like that

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I knew, because I was speaking from experience - but I didn't ruin any pins.

Some manuals lack details on how much, or how far to tighten the coolers. Like, will the screws 'stop on their own', or do I do X number of full turns... what?
The Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora is one such cooler. It literally tells me to tighten the 4 motherboard socket screws by hand, and nothing more.
At least with my old NH-D15S, the screws stop on their own, but that Eisbaer... a bit inconvenient that one is.

Solution