LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Disclaimer: I'm not a tech-head. I wish I were, but I'm not. I know exactly enough to understand that I know almost nothing. With that said, here's my issue.

I recently moved to a small beach town in Panama. I am a remote worker, so connectivity is a thing. My speeds are barely enough to meet my company's requirement.

Because power outages are a thing here, I bought the largest APC brand battery backup I could find. I charged it fully and connected my workstation to it (HP Envy laptop, modem, Wifi router.)

In order to get the best speed I can, I am working with an ethernet cable connected to the modem. I am NOT using my wifi for work.

Here's the problem: After connecting the modem and router to the backup battery, I noticed MASSIVE degrading of my connectivity. Immediately noticeable. I thought maybe it was just a temporary thing related to weather (all connectivity in this little town is via cell towers. Nothing hardwired.) But I looked outside after the sun came up (I work a very early shift), and the sky was perfectly clear! I started looking for things that had changed, and the only change had been the addition of the fully-charged backup battery.

I plugged the router and modem back into the wall directly, and the problem was gone.

This is a problem!! The whole point of getting the battery was so be ready for power outages. I've done multiple googles looking for anything, but nothing is coming up.

So, help me Obiwan community, you're my only hope.

Thanks in advance.

kanewolf

Titan
AH! Ok. It says Back-UPS
I still don't have a definite model -- can you post a link to where you bought it? Or a picture ?
The reason I am being so picky is that different models have different output waveforms when on battery.

I am guessing that you have either cellular or satellite internet service. It is possible that the UPS is generating enough electrical noise that the MODEM is having an issue. Have you done the "one device at a time" test to definitely identify which device is having issues ?

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
I still don't have a definite model -- can you post a link to where you bought it? Or a picture ?
The reason I am being so picky is that different models have different output waveforms when on battery.

I am guessing that you have either cellular or satellite internet service. It is possible that the UPS is generating enough electrical noise that the MODEM is having an issue. Have you done the "one device at a time" test to definitely identify which device is having issues ?

Thank you for your patience and for trying to help me! I'm sorry to be so tech-challenged. I'll try to figure out how to attach a picture within this post.

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015

I can't figure out how to insert a picture to this post. If I click on the "insert image" above, it is asking for a link. I just have a photo. Ugh. Being stupid is hard.