Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
I just installed BF1 for the first time, and upon launch I get a message saying:

Battlefield 1 failed to start
Please repair your game installation and try again.

I've tried disabling discord and origin overlay, running origin as admin, and verifying the files through Steam. None have worked. Any help would be appreciated.

Try this:
  1. Open File Explorer.
  2. Go to Documents.
  3. Go to Battlefield 1.
  4. Open Settings folder.
  5. Move all files to a safe place (create desktop folder). You can also cut and paste the files elsewhere.
Try disabling your antivirus software and see if you can start the game. If that doesn't work, try deleting the bf1.exe file out of the installation folder and repair the game. Once it starts to repair the game, it will redownload the bf1.exe file and hopefully the game will work again.

You can also try this alternative solution:
  1. Go to your game installation path. The default path will be: C:\Program files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 1. Your path might be different.
  2. Go to __Installer folder.
  3. Go to vc folder.
  4. Go to vc2013 folder.
  5. Open the redist folder.
  6. install the 2 files inside.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Try this:
  1. Open File Explorer.
  2. Go to Documents.
  3. Go to Battlefield 1.
  4. Open Settings folder.
  5. Move all files to a safe place (create desktop folder). You can also cut and paste the files elsewhere.
Try disabling your antivirus software and see if you can start the game. If that doesn't work, try deleting the bf1.exe file out of the installation folder and repair the game. Once it starts to repair the game, it will redownload the bf1.exe file and hopefully the game will work again.

You can also try this alternative solution:
  1. Go to your game installation path. The default path will be: C:\Program files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 1. Your path might be different.
  2. Go to __Installer folder.
  3. Go to vc folder.
  4. Go to vc2013 folder.
  5. Open the redist folder.
  6. install the 2 files inside.
Such folders do not exist for me. I bought the game on Steam. I've tried disabling my antivirus as well. No luck there either.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
found on reddit people mentioning batlefront 2 mods interfering with battlefield launching, they do mention frosty fix as a workaround, but punkbuster would kick your from online games when mods are enabled
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Gaming-Related/FrostyFix.shtml
is there a way I could get the mods out of battlefront 2 so I can play battlefield? Because if I'm understanding correctly, using frostyfix could get me kicked from online games.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
I've now also tried a complete reinstall of battlefield 1, as well as uninstalling my other origin games in case those were interfering. Still no luck. My game won't open.