playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
So my previous rig ran a 1070 and a I7 7700...Both Battlefield titles ran flawlessly at 1440p easily grabbing over 60 FPS. Now I have upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3800x (Liquid cooled), an RTX 2080 Super (Liquid cooled), 16 GB RAM @ 3600Mhz, the ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII Motherboard, a 27in 1440p 144Hz Monitor, and I have my game installed on a 7200 RPM Seagate HDD. Quite a substantial upgrade right? Silly me assumed that this would equate to better performance in Battlefield (my mainstay game to play). I was very wrong. While I DO see FPS numbers (measured via MSI afterburner) that are well into the 150s at 1440p ULTRA SETTINGS (wow!) the FPS I get in these games is EXTREMELY inconsistent, jumping between anything as high as 160 to as low as 40 within the span of a second. I would describe overall performance as decent if not for these random bouts of extremely intrusive stuttering. No amount driver re-installations, GPU control panel setting changes, BIOS updates, Windows updates, game repairs, system scans, registry changes, graphics setting tweaks, or ANYTHING else has seemed to do me much good. It is the most bizarre thing ever and I feel like it may be a Ryzen compatibility thing perhaps? A cpu issue? There is no throttling going on during the problems and all of my thermals are great. This is a real head scratcher for me since my previous rig, being old, bogged down with background processes, and running on substantially worse hardware, played with more consistency than my new one. I really want to enjoy my new rig to its fullest potential and this is seriously hindering my ability to do so. I know Ryzen is not known for gaming performance...but cmon man...it should be leagues ahead of a quad core 7700 in terms of stability and raw power output. And that which is mentioned above does not even begin to cover the crashing issue. Yep that's right. In battlefield and battlefield games only I can not finish a game without the game freezing my entire computer and hitting me with a DX error claiming that I have removed my GPU. Sometimes the error is so persistent I have to reboot my PC. Being that this is purely happening in BF...could this just be software compatibility issues? If it is then I am appalled at DICE's horrible support for the latest and greatest tech...but I do not think this to be the case. Any help would be appreciated for I am at my wits end. Thank you.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I dunno. When I run Unigine Superposition Extreme (which is a tough benchmark, give it a try) I get hi-low fps variations of about 300 to 400% so I don't see anything abnormal there. Maybe my standards are too low.

Greg N

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
I dunno. When I run Unigine Superposition Extreme (which is a tough benchmark, give it a try) I get hi-low fps variations of about 300 to 400% so I don't see anything abnormal there. Maybe my standards are too low.

Greg N
I don't know man...all I am saying is that the FPS, while generally lower on my previous rig, did NOT stutter and drop and fluctuate like it does on the newer one. At the very least we can agree that my gaming experience should not have gotten worse as a result of an upgrade.

The only thing I can think of that I didn't say in the other thread on this is did you by chance try disabling the Origin overlay? It can cause problems in some games. If you're getting Dx errors, maybe try reinstalling and make sure you install the Dx files if you didn't before.

It wouldn't hurt to run a sfc scan too to check for possible system file corruption. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

The settings that work for me are Borderless screen mode, no Motion Blur or Depth of Field. Vsync on and fame limit set to 60 with Dx 12 disabled. Res set to 1080p, res scale 100%, and GPU memory restriction On.

I know you have a stronger GPU than my 1080, but your 3800x vs my 8700k makes it a wash IMO. It doesn't make it a wash so much on FPS as stability. Therefore I feel you should use (or at least try) similar settings to mine.

Good luck, keep us posted on progress.

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
The only thing I can think of that I didn't say in the other thread on this is did you by chance try disabling the Origin overlay? It can cause problems in some games. If you're getting Dx errors, maybe try reinstalling and make sure you install the Dx files if you didn't before.

It wouldn't hurt to run a sfc scan too to check for possible system file corruption. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

The settings that work for me are Borderless screen mode, no Motion Blur or Depth of Field. Vsync on and fame limit set to 60 with Dx 12 disabled. Res set to 1080p, res scale 100%, and GPU memory restriction On.

I know you have a stronger GPU than my 1080, but your 3800x vs my 8700k makes it a wash IMO. It doesn't make it a wash so much on FPS as stability. Therefore I feel you should use (or at least try) similar settings to mine.

Good luck, keep us posted on progress.
This is either a driver issue,which you tested by using different drivers,or a issue with overclocking your GPU is hitting it's limits and shutting down to prevent damage.
This could also be why your game is stuttering.
Thank you for the replies and I know that I am being annoyingly persistent on this issue. It just confuses me is all. I know the 8700k is a gaming BEAST and with some OCing your rig is essentially equal to or greater than mine anyway so a wash maybe yeah (1080s still work wonders). I think I have it disabled yeah. Also I DID run an SFC scan and it said it found some things but, being the novice that I am on such things I couldn't make sense of it and just assumed that whatever it was couldn't possibly be impacting gaming performance. I will keep trying.

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Wait...RTX cards come factory over clocked don't they...could I have been pushing mine too hard? I really wanted 2Ghz out of it so I have been OCing it in Afterburner in order to get it to clock higher and output a little more performance. I really wanna be able to lock 144Hz at 1440p at maximum ultra everything settings. Be honest. On my setup is that genuinely asking too much? The culprit may have been an unstable OC. I will keep testing WITHOUT my afterburner OC. Thanks.

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Ok. Here is my results. After disabling my GPU OC via Afterburner, I experienced far less stuttering (though it did still occur in high intensity scenarios) BUT my framerate did drop a little bit. Now with a mixture of high and ultra settings I can pull about 100-120 fps with pretty decent consistency. Is this the level of performace one should expect from a PC like mine? I guess I just assumed it would be able to crush 1440p 144Hz ultras with ease. But perhaps that is just my lack of experience talking.

...I can pull about 100-120 fps with pretty decent consistency. Is this the level of performace one should expect from a PC like mine?
For a 3800x, yes, I'd say that's normal. Remember the video I posted in the other thread of the guy with same spec except a 9900k? He was getting 110-120 at 1440p all Ultra on a 144Hz display in BFV. Being as a 9900k is a bit more powerful, that's how I would expect your rigs to compare.

You always have to be pretty careful to observe any performance differences be they pos or neg when OCing. It's basically to check for stability. If these results remain consistent, I would say problem solved.

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
For a 3800x, yes, I'd say that's normal. Remember the video I posted in the other thread of the guy with same spec except a 9900k? He was getting 110-120 at 1440p all Ultra on a 144Hz display in BFV. Being as a 9900k is a bit more powerful, that's how I would expect your rigs to compare.

You always have to be pretty careful to observe any performance differences be they pos or neg when OCing. It's basically to check for stability. If these results remain consistent, I would say problem solved.
That's fair enough, I was not aware that the performance difference between AMD and Intel was THAT pronounced because while he is sitting on all ultras in BFV pulling 110 I was pulling 90 on all high. Dang. Well, at least my workstation performance and multitasking are EXTREMELY good for the price! I do still love Ryzen third gen lol. Thanks! I will consider the matter resolved...tentatively. I will repost if it comes up in the future.

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
I advised you to do that way back in my 2nd post on the other thread 3 days ago. Everything since then could have been avoided had you tried that back then.

"I would also leave the GPU at stock speed to eliminate the possibility of an unstable OC."
I thought that I had but there was still an underlying profile still in place on each new boot. I just did not know how to use afterburner lol.