Question BCD corrupted, cannot repair in Advanced Recovery Mode ?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, i recently did a Windows quality update and i got several pop ups after a reboot saying ‘We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing changes’. This kept coming up. But one time i booted up my pc and it did not start up, instead giving me the screen to the advanced repair mode. I did all the options in the troubleshoot section, nothing worked. I did the command prompt, and ran a couple commands including BCD. It appears my BCD is corrupted. So i did the BCD repair commands, but they didn’t work. So i was stuck.

I clicked "Continue to Windows", but didn’t go back to the same screen, instead the horrible ‘Your device/pc needs to be repaired’. And the 4 options to boot on the advanced recovery, BIOS, and 2 others i forgot. I tried pressing F1 which was the allocated button for booting into the Advanced recovery again, but it didn’t work instead yakking me back to the same screen.

So currently i am stuck on the repair screen, not able to do anything on it except use the button to go into BIOS, but i don’t think i can do anything in that to get into Windows. So i think, 99% my BCD being corrupted is what caused my Windows to not boot up. I need some help because Resetting the PC is my last resort. I hope this massive oarsgraph makes sense to you.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
The reason might be that you made the bootable drive for MBR instead of GPT. Clearly this is the reason.
Well i am now installing windows. So i’m relieved. I’ve in the process of installing it onto the Drive. I’ll tell you if it’s successful and thank all the others and you for all your help for this massive thread. Unfortunately it’s came to my last resort of reinstalling.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Ok i need help hang on
The reason might be that you made the bootable drive for MBR instead of GPT. Clearly this is the reason.
Hang on, i need help. I’ve just downloaded the windows onto the drive and when it finished it booted back to my usb, because that’s first in the boot priority, isn’t it supposed to boot my newly created window i just made? How do i get to it

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Thanks all of you for helping out, especially SkyNetRising, thanks for sticking to this thread for ages, over 200 posts. Crazy. I’m just now installing everything Back. Big thanks to all of you, unfortunately had to reset the pc which was my last resort. But thanks for ur contributions to try a fix my pc. Appreciate you all

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Also a question, all the files from the windows.old folder, can i just paste into my new windows? What do i do with all the files in there. It includes my program files and everything.

USAFRet

Titan
Also a question, all the files from the windows.old folder, can i just paste into my new windows? What do i do with all the files in there. It includes my program files and everything.
If this were a full clean install, and you DELETED all existing partitions in the process....there would not be a "windows.old"

As requested by SNR....a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

can i just paste into my new windows?
We need to see what the actual outcome of this install was.
But No.

all the files from the windows.old folder, can i just paste into my new windows? What do i do with all the files in there. It includes my program files and everything.
Those are old windows files.
If you forgot to backup some of your user files, you can still find them there.
If you don't need them, then just delete windows.old folder. But be absolutely sure, that you don't need them before deleting.
And no - you can not copy program files from there. That will not work.
You have to reinstall all your apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.