[SOLVED] Best Budget Cpu Cooler for i7 920

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
I have an old i7 920, paired with a Asus mobo, 16gb ddr3 1600 ram, and an RX570, for a decent e-sports and web browsing pc. I've been looking into higher performance games, like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and while the RX570 seems to be capable, my i7 920 is going to severely bottleneck the system. So I've been looking into overclocking. I got to 3.2ghz (~3.4ghz turbo) with the stock coolers, but any more and I get into the 90s while stress testing. I've been looking into budget CPU coolers, and my top picks currently are the CM Hyper 212 Black and beQuiet Pure Rock. I need something that fits in a micro-ATX case and has ram clearance. My budget is $20-$40. Is either of these coolers best, or should I try something else, like a Deep Cool Gammaxx? I mainly care about performance (up to 4GHZ overclocked), not astehtics or volume (although both of those would be nice) My main issue is that most cpu coolers are not LGA1366 compatible, so any help would be useful.

Solution
I've been using the be Quiet! Pure Rock cooler for 3 days now, and it's amazing. I overclocked my i7 920 to 4GHZ from 2.4 (couldn't go any further due to voltage). It's running at around 75C at max load with Prime95 (using all 16GB of RAM as well). I used SpeedFan to control the fan on the cooler, and I barely noticed an audible difference between 0 and 100% fan speed, while my GPU (RX 570) sounded like a jet engine at 100%. The cooler was easy to install (10 minutes). Be aware there is pre-applied thermal paste, and the small cover on it comes off easily. Learned that the hard way when it smeared on the table, but I had a tube of thermal paste lying around, so I wiped the somewhat old thermal paste off and used that paste.

Simran Jeet

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
I have an old i7 920, paired with a Asus mobo, 16gb ddr3 1600 ram, and an RX570, for a decent e-sports and web browsing pc. I've been looking into higher performance games, like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and while the RX570 seems to be capable, my i7 920 is going to severely bottleneck the system. So I've been looking into overclocking. I got to 3.2ghz (~3.4ghz turbo) with the stock coolers, but any more and I get into the 90s while stress testing. I've been looking into budget CPU coolers, and my top picks currently are the CM Hyper 212 Black and beQuiet Pure Rock. I need something that fits in a micro-ATX case and has ram clearance. My budget is $20-$40. Is either of these coolers best, or should I try something else, like a Deep Cool Gammaxx? I mainly care about performance (up to 4GHZ overclocked), not astehtics or volume (although both of those would be nice) My main issue is that most cpu coolers are not LGA1366 compatible, so any help would be useful.
Deepcool gammax gt is a really good alternative if u can get one for cheaper than cm or bequiet then go for it, deepcool is really stepping up their cooling game recently now they have one of the best performing coolers

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
I've been using the be Quiet! Pure Rock cooler for 3 days now, and it's amazing. I overclocked my i7 920 to 4GHZ from 2.4 (couldn't go any further due to voltage). It's running at around 75C at max load with Prime95 (using all 16GB of RAM as well). I used SpeedFan to control the fan on the cooler, and I barely noticed an audible difference between 0 and 100% fan speed, while my GPU (RX 570) sounded like a jet engine at 100%. The cooler was easy to install (10 minutes). Be aware there is pre-applied thermal paste, and the small cover on it comes off easily. Learned that the hard way when it smeared on the table, but I had a tube of thermal paste lying around, so I wiped the somewhat old thermal paste off and used that paste.

Solution