Question GIGABYTE G6 KF - Randomly Switches from Charger to Battery Power under Heavy Load

May 10, 2024
I have the aforementioned GIGABYTE laptop model and as stated - the power source changes while I'm playing video games/under heavy load. I bought the laptop around November last year and at first everything seemed fine - I played games such as Dying Light 2, NieR: Automata, Control, A Plague Tale: Requiem, etc.; but recently it just started glitching (for a moment) and then switching to battery while still connected to a charger. I've read around on the internet that this might be due to several reasons: (1) faulty power supply, (2) weak power supply, (3) motherboard issue.

Additional information:

• the drivers and bios version are the latest
  • this only seems to happen when performance mode is set to Performance in GIGABYTE Control Center
  • the power supply is the default one provided by the manufacturer - LITEON 150 W

Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Has anyone else experienced the same issue? Looking forward to hearing some opinions here. :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Assuming you're on Windows OS, see if uninstalling everything listed under the Battery section in Device Manager, then rebooting, helps resolve the issue. One other thing you could do is uninstall Gigabyte's Control Center and let the OS manage your power plan and see if that alleviates the issue.

Speaking of OS, what OS are you working with?

May 10, 2024

Assuming you're on Windows OS, see if uninstalling everything listed under the Battery section in Device Manager, then rebooting, helps resolve the issue. One other thing you could do is uninstall Gigabyte's Control Center and let the OS manage your power plan and see if that alleviates the issue.

Hey! I haven't tried doing that, I'll give it a shot :) As for the OS, it's Windows 11.

May 10, 2024

I just tried what you recommended - I ran RE7 (on MAX settings) with both Gigabyte's Control Center removed and installed and there were no issues. The game during which the issue occurred is Dead Island (2011). I really don't understand how this issue occurred while playing a 13-year-old game and not with something as graphically intense as RE7.