_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
I'm looking to upgrade from the stock case fans provide with the fractal pop air as I'm not completely happy with the temps, looking at 2 140mm fans in the front but not sure about the back and just wondering what recommendations there are. With it having a thin mesh on the front I'm wondering if static fans would be better? Also rgb is needed on them (I would miss not having it ngl). For reference I'm running a i5-13600k and a gigabyte 2 fan RTX 3060.

Thanks in advance :)

So what do you mean you are not happy with the temps. Does the cpu actually thermally throttle or do you just have some arbitrary number you do not like.

What cpu cooler are you using.

My guess is you are better off spending you money on a better cooler. A set of premium fans espeically with RGB is going to cost you almost as much as you paid for the case.

So if you look near the end of this video they replace all the fans with some of the best rated cooling fans you can get NF-a14. These cost close to $25 each and have no RGB. So for about $75 they reduced the cpu temp abut 5 degrees.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2QPTcRIipk

Reactions: _Dude_of_Rock_

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
So what do you mean you are not happy with the temps. Does the cpu actually thermally throttle or do you just have some arbitrary number you do not like.

My guess is you are better off spending you money on a better cooler. A set of premium fans espeically with RGB is going to cost you almost as much as you paid for the case.

So if you look near the end of this video they replace all the fans with some of the best rated cooling fans you can get NF-a14. These cost close to $25 each and have no RGB. So for about $75 they reduced the cpu temp abut 5 degrees.

Hey, it's more just the numbers really and wanting lower noise but more performance, but no it's not thermally throttling. CPU idles around mid 40s and max I get 67/68 if it's REALLY underload. It's more the GPU that could do with cooling a bit can reach 72 degrees sometimes all with fan curves turned up pretty high. Yeah saw GN's video but you're right it's probably not worth it. My cooler is the ak400 (I was budget limited).

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

I realise I should've probably spent more on the cooler but do you think I could improve temps slightly with an extra fan on the ak400?

Your first issue would be can you get the metal clip that is used to mount the fan to the cooler. I am sure they sell them but who knows how much that will costs.

I have not seen much about how much adding a fan to a cooler like that matters. There likely is some benchmark somewhere for other coolers of similar design. I am going to bet it does not make a huge difference.

You could I guess try to run with the side off the case. That will give you some idea if you have a airflow issue that more fans might help.

Unless you are hitting some limit you are not going to see any real difference in the performance.

_Dude_of_Rock_

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Your first issue would be can you get the metal clip that is used to mount the fan to the cooler. I am sure they sell them but who knows how much that will costs.

I have not seen much about how much adding a fan to a cooler like that matters. There likely is some benchmark somewhere for other coolers of similar design. I am going to bet it does not make a huge difference.

You could I guess try to run with the side off the case. That will give you some idea if you have a airflow issue that more fans might help.

Unless you are hitting some limit you are not going to see any real difference in the performance.
Oh yeah the cooler came with the the extra clips etc. But I did look up benchmarks and itll bring down temps under load about 2 or 3 degrees. Tbh I'm just going to leave it at stock so do you think I should just leave it? I will probably add more fans in the future but maybe when my budget improve lol.

Thanks for the help,
Michael

TRENDING THREADS