[SOLVED] Best compatible GPU upgrade

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
Upgrading my current card (1060 3g) to a 1080ti or higher. I currently have an Auros Gaming 3 Z370 motherboard. Just looking for best options with no compatibility issues.

Budget? Lets say anything under a grand. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Is this a double or triple monitor setup?

Do you plan to have the games you play running only on a single monitor, or spread across multiple monitors?

If gaming on a single monitor - then the 1080ti is complete overkill. A 1660Ti would be plenty to keep up with 75Hz in most games. If you want to never dip below 75FPS, then it's probably best to go with a 2060 Super or a Radeon 5700.

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
What currency? The irresponsible thing would be to just point you to an RTX 2080 Super or Ti (depending on currency), as they'd be within your stated budget.

More responsibly what are your aims with the upgrade?

Sorry did not specify! USD. As far as desires I just want to make sure that it handles any of the upcoming games. Cosmetic purposes really. My pc is mostly used for business but when I game I like it to shine.

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
Additionally, does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither? If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range, and does it have Low Framerate Compensation?

I have these - Sceptre C248W-1920R 24" Curved 75Hz Gaming LED Monitor Full HD 1080P HDMI DisplayPort VGA Speakers Ultra Thin

Pretty sure they don't have either, but i'm not opposed to upgrading my monitors either. I got these primarily for the curve, easier on my eyes.

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
That doesn't answer my question. You need to first decide whether you want a 1080p screen, or 4K. There is a huge difference between these 2 resolutions, and the GPU upgrade depends on this.

There is not point in buying a GTX 1660 Ti for 4K/60Hz.

I more meant that it doesn't matter because I might be upgrading my monitors also (old monitors are 1080). So I guess preferably 4k so I can go ahead and upgrade my monitors, though I'm not opposed to 1080 cards as the difference is minimal (to me) from the screens I've used.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Do you plan to have the games you play running only on a single monitor, or spread across multiple monitors?

If gaming on a single monitor - then the 1080ti is complete overkill. A 1660Ti would be plenty to keep up with 75Hz in most games. If you want to never dip below 75FPS, then it's probably best to go with a 2060 Super or a Radeon 5700.

Solution

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018

Double Setup atm. One for games one for browser/etc. However, since it is hard to find the curved displays, I may upgrade to a 3 display layout.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, since you're only using a single screen for gaming, and that's 1920x1080 @ 75hz, then I'd go with my recommendation above. If you set your monitor(s) to display at 60Hz, then the 1660Ti is the better choice, but 75Hz/fps might be a little difficult for it in a few games.

Out of curiosity, what country are you in? I'm making my recommendation based on general US prices.

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
Well, since you're only using a single screen for gaming, and that's 1920x1080 @ 75hz, then I'd go with my recommendation above. If you set your monitor(s) to display at 60Hz, then the 1660Ti is the better choice, but 75Hz/fps might be a little difficult for it in a few games.

Out of curiosity, what country are you in? I'm making my recommendation based on general US prices.

Great, and I'm in the U.S. Would the same remain true if I moved up to dual/triple 4k monitors (still gaming on one screen)?

kenzimarcel

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
you wont have compatability issues at all, any gpu released after 2007 will work fine. just buy the best you can with your budget, look at gpu rankings until they get too expensive. for 4k 60fps though, you are looking at a minimum rtx 2070 or radeon 5700xt. at 1080p, rtx 2060 or rx 590/rx5700 will do fine. whatever you can afford really.

Reactions: jxburton20

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Great, and I'm in the U.S. Would the same remain true if I moved up to dual/triple 4k monitors (still gaming on one screen)?

No . . at the same number of FPS, a 4k screen puts quadruple the burden on the video card. Only the 2080Ti and RTX Titan right now can manage max details at 4k and 60fps with modern games.

Going to 4k for gaming is generally a pretty bad idea, in my opinion.

Reactions: jxburton20

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
No . . at the same number of FPS, a 4k screen puts quadruple the burden on the video card. Only the 2080Ti and RTX Titan right now can manage max details at 4k and 60fps with modern games.

Going to 4k for gaming is generally a pretty bad idea, in my opinion.

Great, thanks for the info. Just curious, why would the 4k for gaming be I'll advised?

Something is amiss in the question. Is it "why is 4K bad for gaming?" As King_V mentions there are only a couple of GPUs which can handle the sort of workload involved; and the CPU's role is lessened. Most PC gamers will prefer higher refresh rates and fps rather than just higher resolution, especially those who like online games, for the competitive advantage.

Generally it's about personal preference.

TRENDING THREADS