[SOLVED] Best Config of Router on Wrong Side of Managed Switch

Apr 19, 2020
This part of my setup can't change: Cable modem to 3COM 4500 (1) over copper to Gigabit port. 3COM 4500 (1) and 3COM 4500 (2) connect via fiber. 3COM 4500 (2) to 3COM 4500 (3) over copper on Gigabit port. ASUS AC88U router to 3COM 4500 (3) over copper Gigabit port. There are 3 VLANs running with appropriate tags for now. The 3COM switches only have 2 Gigabit ports. Want to send internet back from the ASUS to the switches. Currently any internet feed directly from ASUS. Question: Send Gigabit from ASUS to open 100BT port on 3COM vs. Adding a small switch to allow WAN port and LAN port from ASUS back to same 3COM Gigabit port vs. other. Note that all non-internet traffic is continuous, but small amounts of data.

Solution
If you are ok with it only running at 100mbps it will work fine. Just make sure you keep all the vlans correct so the modem-router connection is always separate.
I am surprised those switches are not in some dumpster. I had to check the date on the post to make sure this was not some old post. 3com has not existed for at least 10yrs and the 10/100 switches you have are even older than that.

I guess it depends on how fast your internet connection is. It will be much simpler to hook the lan port to a 100mbps port but if you really want you can get a small managed switch and plug the wan and lan into that and then use a tagged port to connect back to the gigabit port on the 3com.

Apr 19, 2020
I am surprised those switches are not in some dumpster. I had to check the date on the post to make sure this was not some old post. 3com has not existed for at least 10yrs and the 10/100 switches you have are even older than that.

I guess it depends on how fast your internet connection is. It will be much simpler to hook the lan port to a 100mbps port but if you really want you can get a small managed switch and plug the wan and lan into that and then use a tagged port to connect back to the gigabit port on the 3com.
Like I said... I'm stuck with that part of the setup. But I am trying to figure out how much I will really loose sending the LAN back over the 100 port. The internet speed is 200. I don't anticipate high usage coming off the this new segment of internet.

Latest posts