BEST CPU for playing Arma 2 and later Arma 3 on?

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
So I LOVE the Arma series and Arma 2 currently will not allow me to crank up my view distance over 3000 with my Phenom II x4 (this is on Arma 2's main map, Chernerus) and I wanted to upgrade my CPU around Christmas time. Since I want to be able to play Arma 2 with 10,000 view distance (those of you who have played it know that this is difficult) and achieve stable frame rates (my GPU will have no problem, Arma 2 is 80+% dependent on CPU power) so I figured Intel would be the way to go, and therefore I will need to upgrade my mobo as well.

I currently have, in my computer, a Phenom II x4 965 BE with an HD 7770 for my GPU and so far they have served me well, but not in Arma 2. So, since I ALSO plan on Crossfiring my 7770 at Christmas time I will need an Intel motherboard capable of Crossfire and also of supporting either an i5 or i7 type CPU.

I do not want to spend OVER 400 dollars on an Intel CPU but below that, I think I can manage, and I was REALLY thinking about getting an i7 of some form since I hear those are great. I also hear that i5's are fantastic, but the problem is that Arma 3 is said to be IMMENSELY difficult to max out and Arma 3 is scheduled to be released later this year. If there is, however, an i5 that could possibly run Arma 3 with VERY high view distance, then I would love to hear about it and I will also have you know I am MORE than fine with overclocking my equipment, but I might need suggestions on a CPU cooler if that's the case. Anyways, since I am most likely going to buy an i7 processor, which is the best one out there for under $400? Also, I need a motherboard that can support it AS WELL AS crossfire (you know, AMD GPU's) and I don't want to spend more than 100 dollars on a motherboard (I'm cheap).

Thank you for your help in advance.

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

You sir, obviously have not played Arma before and do not realize it is about 80 to 90% dependent on CPU power to get good frame rates. I can pull in the 100's with low view distance, no joke, but I need more processing power to be able to see farther in the game.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
As much CPU power as you can provide to it. Arma 2 LOVES a fast cpu (overclocking yielded substantial improvements in minimum frame rate for me at the same settings... 2.67 -> 3.6).

But Arma 2 is also demanding because it's not well coded after all (numerous bugs) and also due to the fact that there are a lot of things going on (physics, vehicles, explosions, ais etc).

Just get a lot of ram & at least a 3570k (or 3770k if you want to go all out) and overclock it.