Best find...

Wand of Wishing with 3 charges...... THREE !!!

I wished for...

Helm of Brilliance
Boots of speed
wand of polymorph

All blessed, of course!

F O R M A T C:

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:36:35 GMT
"Format C:" <notreal@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Wand of Wishing with 3 charges...... THREE !!!
>
> I wished for...
>
> Helm of Brilliance
> Boots of speed
> wand of polymorph
>
> All blessed, of course!

Where were your 2 blessed scrolls of charging? :p

--
Mostly harmless.

Christian Schmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:36:35 GMT
> "Format C:" <notreal@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Wand of Wishing with 3 charges...... THREE !!!
>>
>>I wished for...
>>
>>Helm of Brilliance
>>Boots of speed
>>wand of polymorph
>>
>>All blessed, of course!
>>

> Where were your 2 blessed scrolls of charging? :p

Furthermore, what did you do with the last wish you got by zapping it
repeatedly?

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow aka The Shadows of Time aka Zarel aka...
\____/

> Furthermore, what did you do with the last wish you got by zapping it
> repeatedly?

No way I would zap it repeatedly to get the last wish. He may find a
scroll of charging that he can bless and get 3 more wishes.

Jack Bolsen wrote:

>> Furthermore, what did you do with the last wish you got by zapping it
>> repeatedly?

> No way I would zap it repeatedly to get the last wish. He may find a
> scroll of charging that he can bless and get 3 more wishes.

You removed the following context by Christian Schmidt:

>>> Where were your 2 blessed scrolls of charging? :p

That's why Shadow said "furthermore"...

(And you removed the attribution line your own software should have
added):

"Shadow wrote:"

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:10:27 -0600, Shadow
<shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote:

>Christian Schmidt wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:36:35 GMT
>> "Format C:" <notreal@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Wand of Wishing with 3 charges...... THREE !!!
>>>
>>>I wished for...
>>>
>>>Helm of Brilliance
>>>Boots of speed
>>>wand of polymorph
>>>
>>>All blessed, of course!
>>>

>> Where were your 2 blessed scrolls of charging? :p
>>

>Furthermore, what did you do with the last wish you got by zapping it
>repeatedly?

Oh I haven't used that one up yet. I'm hoping someone here can tell me
what to get!

F O R M A T C:

If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like now.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts

Format C: wrote:

>>Furthermore, what did you do with the last wish you got by zapping it
>>repeatedly?
>
> Oh I haven't used that one up yet. I'm hoping someone here can tell me
> what to get!

2 scrolls of charging, so you can get another 3 wished from the wand!

No, wait...

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:16:17 +0100
Svein Ove Aas <svein.ove@aas.no> wrote:

[...]

> > Oh I haven't used that one up yet. I'm hoping someone here can tell
> > me
> > what to get!
> >

> 2 scrolls of charging, so you can get another 3 wished from the wand!
>
> No, wait...

*snickers* :>

--
Mostly harmless.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:54:13 +0100, Christian Schmidt
<mucknert.NO@SPAM.gmx.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:16:17 +0100
>Svein Ove Aas <svein.ove@aas.no> wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>> > Oh I haven't used that one up yet. I'm hoping someone here can tell
>> > me
>> > what to get!
>> >

>> 2 scrolls of charging, so you can get another 3 wished from the wand!
>>
>> No, wait...
>
>*snickers* :>

"Character has died due to being assailed by a Master Mind Flayer."

Funeral next week.

8^\

Format C: wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:10:27 -0600, Shadow
> <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> wrote:
>

>>Christian Schmidt wrote:

>>>Where were your 2 blessed scrolls of charging? :p
>>>

>>Furthermore, what did you do with the last wish you got by zapping it
>>repeatedly?
>

> Oh I haven't used that one up yet. I'm hoping someone here can tell me
> what to get!

As has been said before, wait until you find a scroll of charging,
charge it, and you get four more wishes instead of one.

As for what to get... it depends on what class/race/alignment you are,
and what your current inventory is.

And, remember to wish for rustproof/fireproof +3 stuff, by the way, in
case you didn't just forget to write that in.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:43 +0100:
> When you find a wand of wishing, the first thing to wish for is "2
> blessed scrolls of charging" (if you don't have one yet).
>
> Then you identify the wand, just in case it was (0,1) when you found it
> and has now become (0,0). You don't want to risk it turning to dust with
> your second zap.

I strongly disagree here. The 0.5% chance of losing three of the wand
wishes does not justify indefinitely delaying the use of the wand.

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

Rast wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:43 +0100:
>> When you find a wand of wishing, the first thing to wish for is "2
>> blessed scrolls of charging" (if you don't have one yet).
>>
>> Then you identify the wand, just in case it was (0,1) when you found it
>> and has now become (0,0). You don't want to risk it turning to dust
>> with your second zap.
>
> I strongly disagree here. The 0.5% chance of losing three of the wand
> wishes does not justify indefinitely delaying the use of the wand.

It's not 'indefinitely'. Just until you've identified it. It's not as if
scrolls of identify are particularly rare.

(and I'd almost wish 0:0 wands would turn to dust more often, if only to
punish the instant-gratification junkies :)

Irina

Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:

> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
>
>> Then you identify the wand, just in case it was (0,1) when you found it
>> and has now become (0,0). You don't want to risk it turning to dust with
>> your second zap.
>
> Frankly, I never do this, since the chances of this mishap seem
> to be quite small.

Been there, done that. I don't have a screenshot to prove it, though.

Nowadays I identify the wand of wishing before zapping it again unless
I'm out of identify scrolls (or spells) and I need the wishes in
hurry.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Now #adjust your wand to the inventory slot "z", and keep trying to zap
> the wand by pressing "zz". Eventually, you will get a last wish from the
> wand, and the wand will turn to dust (there's only a small chance per
> zap that it will grant you a last wish).

or, much easier: n200z. It will ask you for an inventory letter each
time and you save 194 keypresses (you need to abort the zapping with
escape after you've got your wish IIRC).

Lars

begin quoting Rast <rast2@hotmail.com>:
>Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:43 +0100:
>>When you find a wand of wishing, the first thing to wish for is "2
>>blessed scrolls of charging" (if you don't have one yet).
>>Then you identify the wand, just in case it was (0,1) when you found it
>>and has now become (0,0). You don't want to risk it turning to dust with
>>your second zap.
>I strongly disagree here. The 0.5% chance of losing three of the wand
>wishes does not justify indefinitely delaying the use of the wand.

Especially if your second wish would be for a blessed spellbook of
identify, a generally useful object if you can cast it, obviating the risk
of blowing it up thereafter.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Leicesterday, March.

Rast wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:43 +0100:
>
>>When you find a wand of wishing, the first thing to wish for is "2
>>blessed scrolls of charging" (if you don't have one yet).
>>
>>Then you identify the wand, just in case it was (0,1) when you found it
>>and has now become (0,0). You don't want to risk it turning to dust with
>>your second zap.
>
> I strongly disagree here. The 0.5% chance of losing three of the wand
> wishes does not justify indefinitely delaying the use of the wand.

The RNG is biased towards evil; 0.5% is a myth.
In the rare cases where I had re-zapped the wand of wishing a second
time, maybe two or three times, it immediately turned to dust in the
next zap once; that is 33-50%.
Call it bad luck, I'll never risk it again, rather (as usual) ascend
with charged wands.

Janis

Rast wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:43 +0100:

>> You don't want to risk it turning to dust with your second zap.

> I strongly disagree here. The 0.5% chance of losing three of the wand
> wishes does not justify indefinitely delaying the use of the wand.

Well, I seem to have a knack for hitting small chances. What's the
chance of clearing the castle of all liches and R's by using the
drawbridge, of almost all soldiers by hand, then returning to the
drawbridge to finish a newly spawned L, re-entering the castle, only to
find out that the *single* captain left was carrying a wand of striking?

http://alt.org/nethack/dumplog/Kroisos.lastgame.txt

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:47:48 +0100:
> Rast wrote:
> > Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:43 +0100:
>
> >> You don't want to risk it turning to dust with your second zap.
>
> > I strongly disagree here. The 0.5% chance of losing three of the wand
> > wishes does not justify indefinitely delaying the use of the wand.
>
> Well, I seem to have a knack for hitting small chances. What's the
> chance of clearing the castle of all liches and R's by using the
> drawbridge, of almost all soldiers by hand, then returning to the
> drawbridge to finish a newly spawned L, re-entering the castle, only to
> find out that the *single* captain left was carrying a wand of striking?
>
> http://alt.org/nethack/dumplog/Kroisos.lastgame.txt

More than 0.5%, maybe. Soldier-types tend to have wands.

I prefer to destroy the drawbridge, but if I hadn't, I certainly wouldn't
want to step on it when there was a monster around. A pity you were not
wearing one of your two "oLS.

--

Rast wrote:

> A pity you were not wearing one of your two "oLS.

"Only wimps use amulets of life saving, real Nethackers don't!" ■
;-)

Janis

■ Famous Last Words

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

>> A pity you were not wearing one of your two "oLS.
>
> "Only wimps use amulets of life saving, real Nethackers don't!" ■
> ;-)
>
> Janis
>
> ■ Famous Last Words

Dying with an amulet of life saving in your main inventory should list
cause of death as "Bravery". Maybe "Overconfidence".

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Rast wrote:

>> A pity you were not wearing one of your two "oLS.

> "Only wimps use amulets of life saving, real Nethackers don't!" ■
> ;-)

That used to be my motto as well, but in this game, I did wear the
amulet now and then. For example, When I was throwing eels to death with
rocks, I put one on in case I would make a typo and accidentally step
next to the water. Same for walking near pools: I'd put one on "just in
case". As soon as there wasn't any water near, the amulet immediately
went off. I didn't wear it all the time to save on food, by the way.

--

Sean wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
>>> A pity you were not wearing one of your two "oLS.
>>
>> "Only wimps use amulets of life saving, real Nethackers don't!" ■
>> ;-)
>>
>> ■ Famous Last Words
>
> Dying with an amulet of life saving in your main inventory should list
> cause of death as "Bravery". Maybe "Overconfidence".

LOL :)

And depending on the number of amulets in your inventory there would
be some ranking. ;-)

Janis

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> For example, When I was throwing eels to death with
> rocks, I put one on in case I would make a typo and accidentally step
> next to the water.

In these cases I heavily use the ^A command to avoid typos.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Sean wrote:
>> Dying with an amulet of life saving in your main inventory should list
>> cause of death as "Bravery". Maybe "Overconfidence".
>
> LOL :)
>
> And depending on the number of amulets in your inventory there would
> be some ranking. ;-)

I just died with an amulet of life saving *and* an amulet of reflection in
my main inventory. No scrolls of identify, though, and Thoth was angry
because I'd prayed too soon.

(but then I don't use life saving on principle)

Raisse, killed by a bolt of fire

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

> I just died with an amulet of life saving *and* an amulet of
> reflection in my main inventory. No scrolls of identify, though, and
> Thoth was angry because I'd prayed too soon.

Although you cannot see it in the end-of-game dump, the amulet of life
saving I had with me *was* identified. I'd even put it on sometimes
(after identifying it) when I was engaging eels while I didn't even have
levitation or water walking yet.

Since I was trying to master the hjkl keys I thought "better safe than
sorry" in those cases.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).