Discussion Best GPU brand?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Best GPU brand?

• EVGA

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • GIGABYTE

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • ASUS (ROG)

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Others..

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
ahahahahahah xD
Just curious for my future GPU, for which brand i should look for : )
Might take 2-3 years though.

When talking about Nvidia and Radeon/AMD GPUs, I had Pine, Point of View, Asus, XFX, EVGA Gigabyte and more EVGA, far as I remember never had any of them fail on me.

In fact I still have the 9600GT Point of View (lost count of how many years that one have) and I use it every now and then to test systems without integrated GPU.

The last ones I got were EVGA and Gigaybte and they all work without issues.

Reactions: Dj0gany

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Working in a shop, I've installed every local and major brand, fixed them, replaced them (msi WAS a nightmare back then, 2 old men in a shed hah), so needless to say I'm sorta biased because I could trend the returning clients over the years. But I've owned Nvidia, 3dfx, ATI, XFX, Msi, Asus, and Evga in that order with only Asus as a repeat 2x.

Reactions: RodroX and Dj0gany
Working in a shop, I've installed every local and major brand, fixed them, replaced them (msi WAS a nightmare back then, 2 old men in a shed hah), so needless to say I'm sorta biased because I could trend the returning clients over the years. But I've owned Nvidia, 3dfx, ATI, XFX, Msi, Asus, and Evga in that order with only Asus as a repeat 2x.
What gpu do you have in your system?

I call it the ROG tax because your paying extra for just the brand.

It might be a tax but ill pay it every time.

Asus rampage 3 extreme i7 950 @ 4.6Ghz ran 4.9Ghz in winter -> runs as a file server in my home rack
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z i5 2500k @ 5.2Ghz -> given to mom
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z i7 2600k @ 5.1Ghz -> given to sister-in-law
Asus Maximus VII Hero i5 4670k @ 4.8 -> given to brother
Asus Maximus X Hero i7-8700k @ 5.1Ghz -> my workhorse
Asus prime X570-P Ryzen 5 3600x stock settings -> work computer
Asus Strix B360-I 8700 stock settings -> built for work

Ive built a dozen or so computers for friends, family, and co workers over the years using all different manufacture boards and they all seem to have their own quarks about them. Ive only ran into 1 asus board where you had to install drivers in the right order to not cause issues, and if i remember correctly it had something to do with the AI suite software. It was something goofy like installing the AI software before audio drivers which they fixed in a letter version of software.

But yeah my go to build now a days is
MB Asus
Ram was mushkin now G.skill
GPU EVGA
SSD intel now Samsung
HDD WD
PSU Silverstone now EVGA
Case Lian Li now Phanteks

For the last 12 years that has been my recipe for builds and its worked pretty good.

I have never had a problem with an Asus board, but I just like to spend my money wisely and not overpay. Their newer products are not always great, and the ones that are great usually cost more than the competition for similar products.

Although, for older systems I am a big fan of Asus. My 2500k machine has a lower end Asus Z68 motherboard, and if I upgrade It will be to a higher end Asus Z68 motherboard.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You have a 1080Ti, why do you want to upgrade?
1)The latest gen offers a good bump over it.
2)I would prefer to avoid going 5 years on a gpu again, if I can help it - even though the 1080Ti is an anomaly. 5 years on a GTX 680 before this... that was one year too long.
3)It's part of my love for this hobby.

4)Not really a reason, but... I'm not that desperate for it, since I'm only trying 2 different things:
-EVGA queue(pre price increase): If I don't get a notice before the price goes up, I'm going to drop out. The 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid is not worth 900USD to me.
-Best Buy: I want to put Alphacool's new Eiswolf on it, but I figure I'll give up around the same time as the price goes up on the EVGA card.

1)The latest gen offers a good bump over it.
2)I would prefer to avoid going 5 years on a gpu again, if I can help it - even though the 1080Ti is an anomaly. 5 years on a GTX 680 before this... that was one year too long.
3)It's part of my love for this hobby.

4)Not really a reason, but... I'm not that desperate for it, since I'm only trying 2 different things:
-EVGA queue(pre price increase): If I don't get a notice before the price goes up, I'm going to drop out. The 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid is not worth 900USD to me.
-Best Buy: I want to put Alphacool's new Eiswolf on it, but I figure I'll give up around the same time as the price goes up on the EVGA card.
Cool!
What games do you play?
Or what do you do with your pc, since i see you have a sorta workstation pc,mainly because of the CPU.