[SOLVED] Best GPU for an AMD Phenom X3 8650

diego23

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Hi I'm building a rig with old components i live in Ecuador and Is really expensive to buy technology here. So my MSI k9a2 platinum died and i bought a gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud4p for my AMD Phenom X3 8650 and i need a GPU that doesn't bottleneck with these CPU i apreciate any suggestions

Solution
your CPU doesn't have anywhere near the power to run GTA 5 or Skyrim. no matter what GPU you pair it with.

but you might be able to put together an AMD APU build:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.04 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($33.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Rosewill SRM-01B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($32.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power U9 400 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply...
Hello, what's your budget for the graphics card ?

The "AMD Phenom X3 8650" is a pretty weak old processor, having just 3 cores, if I'm not mistaken. This processor will surely bottleneck any decent high-end or mid-tier GPU. be it AMD or NVIDIA, IMO. On what screen resolution are you going to use this system ? Is it for GAMING, or some other office work ?

Though, I suggest you buy/upgrade something better for your rig, if possible ? Anyways, I'm not quite sure which GPU won't bottleneck your current CPU, but If I make a guess then any of the entry level GPUs might work well, though it's kind of hard to make a suggestion. Let me think......

I will post another reply soon....

InvalidError

Titan
Since the RX470/570 is a decent mid-range GPU can be had cheaper than many much slower GPUs (at least in NA), get one of those if you can.

Getting "a GPU that won't bottleneck the CPU" makes no sense since which component will bottleneck the other varies on a game-by-game, scene-by-scene basis and quality settings. For the best performance, you'd rather have too much spare processing power than come up short, especially when that spare performance costs little to no extra.

Unless you only playing games that were easy to run 10 years ago or very low cpu requirements that cpu is going to be a big issue regardless of gpu choice. That cpu was weak 10 years ago and is well below the minimum requirements for any modern game that needs even medium cpu performance let alone high cpu performance.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
It's an incredibly old platform using DDR2 and PCIe 2.0. You will probably have horrible frame drops and stuttering regardless of what card you choose. Your whole system will be the bottleneck on any GPU.

But in saying that it depends on what games you play. My suggestion if you must stay with that platform is an RX470.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Phenom X3 8650 is pretty restricting, I wouldn't recommend anything over a 750 TI without also knowing what you power supply is and if you have also updated your BIOS to the latest revision. That motherboard can run any AM3 chip but it's going to be restricted a bit with the DDR2 RAM and PCI-e 2 X8 GPU slots. What are you potentially wanting to play and what is your budget?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
If you are willing to upgrade your platform in the short to mid term ie; 6 months I would recommend buying the best possible graphics card your budget allows, depending on your PSU of course. Then upgrading your Platform. I would even suggest upgrading to a cheap AM4 based system with DDR4 (now quite cheap).

If you aren't intending on overclocking and have a limited budget, wanting simply an updated PC with all round better performance then
the Ryzen 5 2400G with the vega 11 APU ( integrated graphics ) could be a good option if you have modest gaming needs.

1st gen Ryzens are also starting to sell very cheap on the used and new markets.

Ask yourself these important questions as others have stated.

• What is your budget?
  • Are you looking at the best gaming performance or all round performance?
  • What is your current PSU?
  • What games do you want to play?
  • Are you just looking for better performance within the scope of games and applications you use currently?

diego23

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Hello, what's your budget for the graphics card ?

The "AMD Phenom X3 8650" is a pretty weak old processor, having just 3 cores, if I'm not mistaken. This processor will surely bottleneck any decent high-end or mid-tier GPU. be it AMD or NVIDIA, IMO. On what screen resolution are you going to use this system ? Is it for GAMING, or some other office work ?

Though, I suggest you buy/upgrade something better for your rig, if possible ? Anyways, I'm not quite sure which GPU won't bottleneck your current CPU, but If I make a guess then any of the entry level GPUs might work well, though it's kind of hard to make a suggestion. Let me think......

I will post another reply soon....
Hey thank you for the advice, and i want the pc for gaming, im buying a phenom 2 x6 1090t to remplace my current one, so any advice for a gpu?

diego23

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
If you are willing to upgrade your platform in the short to mid term ie; 6 months I would recommend buying the best possible graphics card your budget allows, depending on your PSU of course. Then upgrading your Platform. I would even suggest upgrading to a cheap AM4 based system with DDR4 (now quite cheap).

If you aren't intending on overclocking and have a limited budget, wanting simply an updated PC with all round better performance then
the Ryzen 5 2400G with the vega 11 APU ( integrated graphics ) could be a good option if you have modest gaming needs.

1st gen Ryzens are also starting to sell very cheap on the used and new markets.

Ask yourself these important questions as others have stated.

• What is your budget?
  • Are you looking at the best gaming performance or all round performance?
  • What is your current PSU?
  • What games do you want to play?
  • Are you just looking for better performance within the scope of games and applications you use currently?
The thing is I dont have a lot of money for this, my max budget is like 300 or less, I want the pc for gaming I still dont have a psu amd well I mostly play rts or 4x games, and well I would want to try gta5 or skyrim that sort of games, im not interested in New latest games.
So i already have the mobo and i bought a phenom 2 x6 1090t, I still need the ram, psu and gpu please help me with a parts list

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I would try to find a gtx 750 ti if possible and a decent 400w psu if possible a Seasonic psu. I’m not sure if you can import a dell precision t3500 tower for cheap but if you can I’d just go with one of those as it will make everything easier and you can get a halfway decent graphics card with that and you can get the cpus fairly cheap.

your CPU doesn't have anywhere near the power to run GTA 5 or Skyrim. no matter what GPU you pair it with.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power U9 400 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.47 @ Amazon)
Total: $316.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-20 22:36 EST-0500

Solution

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: be quiet! System Power U9 400 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.47 @ Amazon)
Total: $316.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-20 22:36 EST-0500
That stuff is gonna cost a lot more where they are from and it may not even be possible to get the normal retail sites we have might not be available over in Ecuador. Also like the name(y)