sashika

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
guys i just got a budget jump from a 5770 to an gtx 460

i can buy

evga gtx 460 738 mb $ 229
Asus ENGTX460CUTOP 2DI 768M $ 258
Gigabyte NVIDIA N460OC-1GI GTX460 $ 258

am looking for reliability, performance and if this price difference is worth it.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

^
+1

I'm usually not so much concerned about warranty's so much as price/performance/cooling.

I'd recommend a MSi Cyclone, Palit Sonic Platinum or a Asus DirectCU. **All 1GB of course**

It is a good brand on a whole. In the GPU section i would rate it something as middle tier.
Whereas for nVidia, the top manufacturers would be:
Asus, XFX, eVGA for me.
But normally, reference cards don't make much difference. Its the custom cards where the manufacturers show their quality. So if you are getting a custom card you don't have anything to worry about.

The Asus model you listed in your first post is the high-end Direct CU copper heatsink model with a factory overclock ("TOP").

I have found Asus to be one of the best brands with high quality components, even in their reference models (which are designated with the "ENG"). Even the reference models promote voltage overclocking, so they need to use high quality components throughout to guarantee good overclocks with voltage tweaking.

GeForce GTX 460 768MB - 336 Shader processor - 56 TMUs - 24 ROPs - TDP 22/150W - MSRP 199 USD

GeForce GTX 460 1024MB -336 Shader processor - 56 TMUs - 32 ROPs - TDP 22/160W - MSRP 229 USD

I didn't see that and I read over the reviews there. Must have been a bad batch. Mine runs just fine as any card is expected to but maybe because I am running the fans at 100% to keep every thing cool. My case is also open so that may also be playing a role. If you don't want to bother with it then the Hawk is the next best thing with a even better cooler in my opinion but sadly they are more expensive.

sashika

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
i saw that the palit sonic 1gb performs the best out of all the gtx 460 cards , i was wondering if i bought a asus card and then oced it to the speeds of the palit card will it have the same performance ?