Bethesda: Doom 4 Was Sent Back to Drawing Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
What would Doom fans want though... A fast acrobatic gunfight with large number of enemies onscreen? A tense dark corridor survival horror? A scripted story-driven spectacle war shooter?

G

[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]At least they're giving us details... unlike Valve and Half-life 3![/citation]

About HL3. A friend of a friend works at Valve and they ARE working on it. So look forward :)

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I guess the PS4 surprised them. They probably were making some lack luster current gen console Doom game like a Rage and was caught off guard by the announcement of the PS4 and then decided to scrap the game and start over and building the game based on PS4 specs.....this means no baked in textures like the sky....cough cough rage and no more megatexture ha ha ahhhh chewwwww rage!!!!!!!!!!

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]atminside[/nom]I guess the PS4 surprised them. They probably were making some lack luster current gen console Doom game like a Rage and was caught off guard by the announcement of the PS4 and then decided to scrap the game and start over and building the game based on PS4 specs.....this means no baked in textures like the sky....cough cough rage and no more megatexture ha ha ahhhh chewwwww rage!!!!!!!!!![/citation]
I don't think that's the case.
They had started work back in 2007, and then later scrapped and restarted around 2011 it seems.
I don't think they were caught off guard by the news of PS4, afterall Sony made a point that they got input from various developers when designing their latest console (thus I suspect Id were already well aware of future consoles) and why they scrapped the original game to focus on nextgen.

Its good to see some developers still care about making quality games and our willing to scrap ideas and retry. I know a few that would just say "meh, close enough' well and release what they got anyway :)

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]About HL3. A friend of a friend works at Valve and they ARE working on it. So look forward[/citation]

Who cares if they are working on it if they never deliver? Valve has done a great, great job with steam -- far better than I had ever suspected. It's also made them extremely lazy as a development house. The source engine is nearing a decade old. L4D & L4D2 are fun, but not anywhere near HL2 in terms of quality. The Episodes were a good, but also half-assed attempt that was never followed up on. HL & HL2 were great games, but from a completely different era of gaming. The landscape has changed so much, I'm not sure HL3 would be as well received as it would have been say, 4 years ago. Valve needs to either spin off the development house, or Steam, so at least one team can focus on making games again. FWIW, Portal is a fun, but quirky game, and still no where near HL in terms of depth of game play; it's a casual puzzler.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
Still, can you smell that? It smells like Duke Nukem Forever in the air all over again.

I thought DNFs big problem was never being able to let go of anything, under Broussard its development history reads like it was supposed to be the final word in gaming. New engine? gotta have it, internet connectivity from in game monitors? likewise. If they had scrapped it and refocused we probably would have had it almost a decade ago. Sounds like the opposite tac to me.

rjandric

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
In my opinion Valve's HL series is way above doom and anything id have released so far. id games are tech demos, no real story whatsoever, and when they try it seems a bit forced (rage). It is time for them to hire screenwriter and go from there. Make it interesting, instead of knowing that theres another burning corpse waiting after next corner.

billcat479

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I think they got the name right with the add on twist of the Rage because the people that are trying to make it are in a rage and the game is Doomed to never make it to the stores.... It's a funny way to look at it anyway. Doom4, and how many times was it scraped and started over. If it was 4 times than it fits in the area of weirdness. Reminds me of Apollo 13 in a way huh???

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
As long as they're being honest and know what we want then take all the time in the world! Just make sure it's not another DNF or Diablo 3 fiasco!

Can't wait for Fallout 4 either! Bethesda does great work and their games are fantastic! My hats go off to you guys over at Id, Obsidian, Arkane, Bethesda Development, and every other developer for Bethesda publishing!

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I hope it's more along the lines of the first and second quakes and dooms. Simplified with weapons and focused on gameplay. No ranks and bazillions of guns, perks, and bs. Just a balanced fair set of ass kicking weapons.

Undertuned

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
[citation][nom]DXRick[/nom]It seems that for each next installment of a franchise, the time to create it doubles.[/citation]

Except Assassins Creed, where it halves.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
i think its good that they ditched and restarted
it means they realised what they were doing was not going to be all that good so they decided to sacrifice money to make the end result a better experience
it also means they might be making it more for current and next gen hardware unlike duke nukem where they just tried to update the visuals to the current generation but didn't quite make it

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Much rather them take a lot longer and possibly deliver a (much) better product than give no fucks and release some terrible game. Plus it will probably be on the next gen consoles so it should look a good bit better hopefully.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]please ditch doom and give us elder scrolls 6 and fallout 4. i spend more time with skyrim than any other game.[/citation]
ID has nothing to do with developing either of those other franchises , silly. other than bethesda is owned by the same parent company (zenimax). I'm pretty sure Bethesda studios is working diligently on ES 6 can't speak for FO 4 though, but ID working on their own games has NO effect on bethesda game studios making ES 6 they are two compeletely different developer teams/subsidaries.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]As long as they're being honest and know what we want then take all the time in the world! Just make sure it's not another DNF or Diablo 3 fiasco!Can't wait for Fallout 4 either! Bethesda does great work and their games are fantastic! My hats go off to you guys over at Id, Obsidian, Arkane, Bethesda Development, and every other developer for Bethesda publishing![/citation]

got one companies name wrong , and left out another company entirely

it's not bethesda development , its called Bethesda game studios (or bethesda studios for short ), and you forgot to mention Zenimax online entertainment who are developing the TESO (the elder scrolls online)

Nikolay Mitev

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I do not agree that Bethesda did good job with Skyrim. Same goes for Sims. In my opinion, a game that needs fan made mods to be enjoyable is not a product worth such hi ratings. Still, the sales are against me.

Better to leave Doom than release a new "Duke".

Sice the last years and how crappy games are, im gonna have to watch some streams and stuff before commint my time (money also, but its mostly time here) to something that might just be a huge waste of time.

Thats why i aint buying any game nowdays with no personal expirience on it one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.