[SOLVED] Better Taskbar

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
I absolutely despise the Windows taskbar; it is extremely inconsistent with how it works whenever I need it to open. Are there any recommended programs outside of rainmeter in order to change the default taskbar?

Last edited:
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
You’d expect to see Classic Shell on a list like this, as it’s one of the most popular Start Menu replacements. However, in December 2017, Classic Shell’s developer announced that he will no longer actively develop the software.

Citing a lack of free time and the frequent update cycle of Windows 10 as major issues, he’s made the last version of Classic Shell open source. You can view the source code on GitHub and even fork it if you’re a developer looking to keep the project alive.

What does this mean for you as a user? Classic Shell isn’t going to disappear; you can still download it from the official website and SourceForge for the time being. Your copy will continue to work, but the software won’t see any updates in the future. This means that if the next big Windows 10 update breaks something, the developer isn’t going to issue a fix for it.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-start-menu-alternatives/

gardenman

Splendid
I'm not sure exactly what the original question is:
extremely inconsistent with how it works whenever I need it to open

It seems you are looking for something different in the functionality of the taskbar, not the look? These are usually called "Shell Replacements". Not just a Taskbar replacement because they replace the whole Windows Shell (which includes Explorer, taskbar, desktop, etc.)

I use Open-Shell, but it only replaces the Start Menu and allows you to change the look of the taskbar.

I use Rainmeter, but I only use it to display gadgets/widgets and such. It does appear it can do more than that. See this picture on their homepage.

Colif mentioned Stardock which may be something you are interested in. Maybe Stardock Fences. There's other nice ones on the link he provided too.

Another alternative: Cario Desktop Environment. I haven't tried this but it looks interesting.

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
I'm not sure exactly what the original question is:

It seems you are looking for something different in the functionality of the taskbar, not the look? These are usually called "Shell Replacements". Not just a Taskbar replacement because they replace the whole Windows Shell (which includes Explorer, taskbar, desktop, etc.)

I use Open-Shell, but it only replaces the Start Menu and allows you to change the look of the taskbar.

I use Rainmeter, but I only use it to display gadgets/widgets and such. It does appear it can do more than that. See this picture on their homepage.

Colif mentioned Stardock which may be something you are interested in. Maybe Stardock Fences. There's other nice ones on the link he provided too.

Another alternative: Cario Desktop Environment. I haven't tried this but it looks interesting.
I suppose my main problem with it is the issues with getting it to come out of hide mode. I cannot make it so whenever I am doing something and put my mouse to that side of the screen, it is guaranteed to come up. Sometimes it just stays minimized until I move all open software off that monitor, while other times it just works. I don't want it always open, plus, there are other times it just messes up and acts very strangely. But yes, functionality is what I am looking for as an all in replacement for it.

I am doing something and put my mouse to that side of the screen, it is guaranteed to come up
Imagine you're the project manager specifying to developers how the taskbar should work. How the taskbar will know when to show up when you move your mouse to the taskbar edge? Move it to the left (because our screens became wider, not taller), lock it, and move on.