Question BIOS does not recognize new SSD on old Toshiba Satellite ?

Jun 29, 2021
Hi all. I have an old Toshiba Satellite A205-SP5815 laptop and I'm trying to change the old HDD for a new SSD. The problem I have is that once I change the SSD, the BIOS does not recognize the new SSD, so I'm not able to install a new OS from USB-stick. With the old HDD the system works properly with Windows XP, so I guess SATA connectors must be working properly. I have read some things about changing the boot from UEFI to CMS but I guess the BIOS of this laptop does not include that option, at least to my knowledge. I would appreciate any help from you. Thank you very much!

popatim

Titan
Make sure the connector is actually going on to the SSD pins correctly.
I had a laptop doing the same thing and found that the SSD pins was sliding just under the connector but to me it felt like it went in right. - nothing showed up in the bios of course.

If that's not it, which SSD did you get. Some just aren't compatible with your old Toshiba.

Jun 29, 2021
Hi and thank you for your response. I have checked the connectors. They are fine. I got the SSD Kingston’s A400 2.5'' SATA 240 Gb. I have always used that model to add it to other old laptops (Dell, Compaq) and I've never had any problem with them until now with this Toshiba.

I also added another RAM memory to use the dual channel, with the same specs that the already installed one has (1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SODIMM 667MHz (PC2-5300) and also it is not recognized by the BIOS.

After all these things, I started to think that somehow the BIOS is blocked to recognize new hardware.

I have no idea how to treat with the BIOS issue so I would really appreciate guidance about it.

Thank you again for the help!