[SOLVED] BIOS issue with ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ?

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hello all. So I recently stumbled onto a potential issue with getting into the BIOS of my motherboard.

So normally when the comp boots up, I can just spam the DEL key and I'm into the BIOS no problem.

However, I’ve been messing with the settings a bit and wanted to go back to default. So I reset the BIOS to default and then saved my changes and exited.

When the comp restarted I could no longer spam the DEL key to get into the BIOS. If I did this it would just take me to a black screen and I’d have to restart or force shut down.

If I simply pressed the DEL key once, though, it would work and I’d get into the BIOS.

Was just curious if anyone else experienced this? And if it’s a bug or a possibly defective mobo.

EDIT: Just tried something else. Looks like it also happens if I just hit "Discard Changes and Exit" too. When I do that and restarts the system and takes me back to the ASRock splash screen. If I try to spam DEL to back into the BIOS, I get the same black screen and have to restart. But if I just hit DEL once, I can get in.

Last edited:
Solution
Difficult to say why the ports are problematic. Recent boards have both USB 2.0 and usb 3.0. the board also should have additional ports to connect to the case. If those are connected wrong it can cause a short circuit and maybe fire be careful with your PC ok.

ColorfulMatt0291

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
Usually, a more detailed listing of your PC components is advisable to aid any members wishing to help. Motherboard model plus the revision of that board. Did you recently flash your BIOS? Also what Bios erosion is installed? If you flashed the BIOS then did you load defaults and save and then check ram voltage other important settings? Then proceed to change to preferred settings and save and exit? I wonder if you need more help or are you just posting information?

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Usually, a more detailed listing of your PC components is advisable to aid any members wishing to help. Motherboard model plus the revision of that board. Did you recently flash your BIOS? Also what Bios erosion is installed? If you flashed the BIOS then did you load defaults and save and then check ram voltage other important settings? Then proceed to change to preferred settings and save and exit? I wonder if you need more help or are you just posting information?

Sorry. My apologies for not posting more information. I actually just received this computer last Thursday from IBuyPower.

Mobo: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
GPU: MSI GTX 3070
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2 NVME
PSU: 1000 Watt
Monitors: LG 27GL83A x2

I did not flash my BIOS. And I’m sorry, but im not sure what erosion is installed or how to find it.

I was mostly posting this to see if there was any cause for concern?

This seems like kind of an intermittent issue. Like I was testing it this morning and I feel like it was only happening if I was mashing then DEL key before the BIOS recognized the keyboard was plugged in. If I waited for the keyboard lights to come on and then spammed DEL, it would load into the BIOS fine.

Also, maybe this is a dumb question, but is there such a thing as pressing the DEL key TOO much when trying to get into the BIOS? It would work every time if I just simply waited for the keyboard to light up and then hit the DEL key ONCE to get into the BIOS.

I should also mention that when it did happen, in addition to the blank black screen, I would also see the red BOOT LED light up on the mobo.

Last edited:

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Hello everyone.

I posted a thread earlier about this but did not provide nearly enough details for anyone to help me out with it. I apologize for that and wanted to post again, but this time provide more details on the issue.

First off, I just recently received this computer from IBuyPower. It is a custom built PC and here are the specs:

And to explain the issue, I figured the easiest way would be to post a video:

BIO Issue

Please bear with the wrong angle for the first few seconds. The video will reorient itself.

Basically what's happening is when I reset the BIOS to default values, I can no longer enter the BIOS by mashing the DEL key like I usually do. If I try this, I instead get a black screen and need to either restart the machine or force shut it down. In addition to this, the VGA and BOOT LEDs are lit up on the motherboard while the black screen is showing.

I can still get into the BIOS if I just hit the DEL key once. And if I let it boot on its own, I can still get into Windows too. My main question is, are the black screen and LEDs any cause for concern?

I called IBP earlier about the build and they had me do a "sfc /scannow" test on my machine. This turned up some disk errors where were uncorrectable by Windows. IBP believe this was indicative of a faulty SSD and requested that I send mine back in for repairs.

However, I had a second SSD to test this out in. So I removed all the drives except this other SSD and reinstalled Windows. I ran the scan and there were no more errors. But, I was still able to reproduce the BIOS issue.

So I feel like maybe it's not a SSD issue? Seems almost like something I am doing on my part and nothings actually faulty, but I wanted to post here to see if anyone else would know.

ColorfulMatt0291

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
Sorry. My apologies for not posting more information. I actually just received this computer last Thursday from IBuyPower.

I did not flash my BIOS. And I’m sorry, but im not sure what erosion is installed or how to find it.

I was mostly posting this to see if there was any cause for concern?

This seems like kind of an intermittent issue. Like I was testing it this morning and I feel like it was only happening if I was mashing then DEL key before the BIOS recognized the keyboard was plugged in. If I waited for the keyboard lights to come on and then spammed DEL, it would load into the BIOS fine.

Also, maybe this is a dumb question, but is there such a thing as pressing the DEL key TOO much when trying to get into the BIOS? It would work every time if I just simply waited for the keyboard to light up and then hit the DEL key ONCE to get into the BIOS.

I should also mention that when it did happen, in addition to the blank black screen, I would also see the red BOOT LED light up on the mobo.
First of all I am not a regular poster on these forums, so someone else may be helping you out. The word erosion is supposed to be version BIOS version. When you get in to the BIOS you can usually see it in the first few pages.
If I had to guess what is wrong I would say the keyboard is plugged in to a USB port controlled by a third party chip on the motherboard. As you said, if you wait till the keyboard lights up, it works every time. Try this go in to the BIOS and look for the USB section, it should be under "PERIPHERALS ", and check to see if legacy USB option is enabled. Try turning it on or off and test as you go. Also check to see if all USB devices are enabled in the BIOS, if not then enable them. You may want to take notes of what settings you change and the results that you get. If you have reset the BIOS to default settings that will change all settings to the default state which may not be the best, but its close. Best would be your personal settings. Another idea is to uninstall the USB keyboard in device manager and then plug into another port and test again.
Regards Colorfulmatt0291

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
First of all I am not a regular poster on these forums, so someone else may be helping you out. The word erosion is supposed to be version BIOS version. When you get in to the BIOS you can usually see it in the first few pages.
If I had to guess what is wrong I would say the keyboard is plugged in to a USB port controlled by a third party chip on the motherboard. As you said, if you wait till the keyboard lights up, it works every time. Try this go in to the BIOS and look for the USB section, it should be under "PERIPHERALS ", and check to see if legacy USB option is enabled. Try turning it on or off and test as you go. Also check to see if all USB devices are enabled in the BIOS, if not then enable them. You may want to take notes of what settings you change and the results that you get. If you have reset the BIOS to default settings that will change all settings to the default state which may not be the best, but its close. Best would be your personal settings. Another idea is to uninstall the USB keyboard in device manager and then plug into another port and test again.
Regards Colorfulmatt0291

Interesting. Yeah I’ll definitely give that a try. I was thinking it could be keyboard related as well. I just did a clean install on my secondary SSD and it’s still happening. So I don’t think it’s that. Trying to rule out everything until I get to the dreaded mobo replacement.

BIOS Issue

Also I went ahead and recorded a video of the issue I’m having to hopefully provide more detail.

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Does it act the same if you use F2 instead of DEL?
I would just use it as long as it works and I can get the setup done.

Hey there. I am not 100% sure but I’m pretty sure it did aft the same way if I hit F2. I will test it out tomorrow to confirm though.

And that’s what I was thinking as well. Not being able to mash the DEL key to get into the BIOS isn’t a HUGE issue for me. I just wanted to make sure this wasn’t due to anything defective in my system.

I have never "mashed" the BIOS access key. I simply wait, finger at the ready, until mobo splash screen appears with options at the bottom, then I press & hold the appropriate key until BIOS configuration screen appears -- that's how I've always done it on all my computers.

As long as you are still able to access the BIOS (allbeit slightly differently than before) I wouldn't be at all concerned.

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
I have never "mashed" the BIOS access key. I simply wait, finger at the ready, until mobo splash screen appears with options at the bottom, then I press & hold the appropriate key until BIOS configuration screen appears -- that's how I've always done it on all my computers.

As long as you are still able to access the BIOS (allbeit slightly differently than before) I wouldn't be at all concerned.

Thank you. Yeah I think I might call today and see if I can cancel the RMA. I agree that as long as I can get into the BIOS, that’s fine by me. Just didn’t know if the black screen meant anything.

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Regards Colorfulmatt0291

Hey so I actually did a few tests relating to the keyboard. I tried it with a different one and saw that it was still happening. However, I also tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers and plugging it into a different USB.

This actually appears to have fixed the “issue.” I tried it a couple more times and it seems that the only time it happens is when I have it plugged into that specific USB slot. The keyboard I use takes two USBs so I typically plug it into the slots next to the Ethernet port. For whatever reason, it only happens when it’s plugged into those.

When I tried it in another port, I was able to reset BIOS to default, restart, and then mash the DEL key and got in.

Do you know why this might be the case? Why it’s only happening with those specific USB ports. I also tried looking around the BIOS for some USB settings but was unable to find them.

ColorfulMatt0291

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
Difficult to say why the ports are problematic. Recent boards have both USB 2.0 and usb 3.0. the board also should have additional ports to connect to the case. If those are connected wrong it can cause a short circuit and maybe fire be careful with your PC ok.

Solution