Winter Blue

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
I have a Dell 7373 laptop that I made the mistake of updating the BIOS a while back.
Ever since then I have been having issues with it crashing at random and not coming back to life after closing/opening the lid or sleeping.
I recovered to the latest bios via the RCV, but same issues.
I was able to downgrade back to the original 1.1.0 bios and it started working fine again!

Unfortunately I had Windows installed at the time and it decided that I needed a bios update.
It installed bios version 1.13.1 and instantly my laptop became unusable again.
I went to downgrade back to 1.1.0 and was greeted with a prompt telling me "BIOS Update blocked due to unsupported downgrade".

I have tried the stair step method to downgrade bios, but I can only get to bios 1.8.0 and no further before getting that message again.

Dell only has the RCV file available for their latest bios so that is not an option.

Is it possible to modify the bios .EXE to install a 1.1.0, but make it think it is the latest bios?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Winter Blue

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
What Windows updates your Bios just because ???
Have you tried flashing Bios from a booting USB stick ?
If you go to windows you hand control over again.

Its a dell bloatware + windows update thing.. I have disabled it all since this happened.

Unfortunately I am unable to force it via USB, as there is no RCV file available for any earlier bios.. That I have been able to find anyways.