[SOLVED] BIOS update for B450M Pro4 for Ryzen 5 --- best practices ?

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
I am planning on getting a newer Ryzen chip to use on the ASRock B450M Pro4 board I have, but this requires an update from bios ver. P1.50 to 5.x.

The official support notes for bios updates state my planned update is not recommended for Summit Ridge chips, but I currently have a Ryzen 7 1700X in there. So, some questions:

1. What is the process for doing this update safely?
  2. Does the "not recommended" note by ASRock mean the 1700X will not longer work, or just work poorly?
I don't really have experience updating bios for older boards like this, so I guess in general I am just wondering what the best practices are for this kind of update issue.

I am planning on getting a newer Ryzen chip to use on the ASRock B450M Pro4 board I have, but this requires an update from bios ver. P1.50 to 5.x.

The official support notes for bios updates state my planned update is not recommended for Summit Ridge chips, but I currently have a Ryzen 7 1700X in there. So, some questions:

1. What is the process for doing this update safely?
  2. Does the "not recommended" note by ASRock mean the 1700X will not longer work, or just work poorly?
I don't really have experience updating bios for older boards like this, so I guess in general I am just wondering what the best practices are for this kind of update issue.
To be on safe side. update BIOS just before you switch to new CPU.

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
So, to recap the advice so far:

1. Reset to default bios (removing OC tweaks, etc)
  2. With 1700X still installed, flash to required bios version
  3. Power down everything
  4. Install new CPU
  5. Power up and... success?