Question Bios update or not ?

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Hi, just a simple question I need to put together two of my computers and im not sure how necessary the Bios update is, usually I just skip it completely. I've done it with usb stick to some old computer I had that were not main computer. Had not a greatest time, got DRAM red light and had to reset CMOS etc for couple hours until I got it to work again.

I currently have a MSI B550 Carbon Gaming Wifi (bought it 2 years ago so no bios updates) and a new unopened Asus TUF Gaming Plus Wifi II (produced in march 2023 don't know what bios it came with yet). So should I update the bios with these ''just in case''. I've read about TPU stutter issues with win11 if there is not the latest bios update with the Asus board, but some say that they only use TPU to update to Win11 and then turn it off in bios anyway. MSI also has AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.8 bios update etc. I would just like to have a stable computer and without any stuttering etc while gaming.

MSI MSI B550 Carbon Gaming Wifi with ryzen 3600

Asus TUF Gaming Plus Wifi II with ryzen 5700x

So would you update both motherboards to the latest bios or leave it with the old ones until something is really broken ?

Hi, just a simple question I need to put together two of my computers and im not sure how necessary the Bios update is, usually I just skip it completely. I've done it with usb stick to some old computer I had that were not main computer. Had not a greatest time, got DRAM red light and had to reset CMOS etc for couple hours until I got it to work again.

I currently have a MSI B550 Carbon Gaming Wifi (bought it 2 years ago so no bios updates) and a new unopened Asus TUF Gaming Plus Wifi II (produced in march 2023 don't know what bios it came with yet). So should I update the bios with these ''just in case''. I've read about TPU stutter issues with win11 if there is not the latest bios update with the Asus board, but some say that they only use TPU to update to Win11 and then turn it off in bios anyway. MSI also has AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.8 bios update etc. I would just like to have a stable computer and without any stuttering etc while gaming.

MSI MSI B550 Carbon Gaming Wifi with ryzen 3600

Asus TUF Gaming Plus Wifi II with ryzen 5700x

So would you update both motherboards to the latest bios or leave it with the old ones until something is really broken ?
To the latest...either or both boards. If it's not at the latest there are lots of fixes and improvements by doing so, way more than just the TPM related stuttering.

BTW, I'd suggest leaving the TPM (not TPU) enabled if you use a Microsoft account to sync your Windows activation keys. That way you're getting the security it offers for validating logons. I would like to think more services will start using it too; one already is a game launcher as an anti-cheat device. Stuttering has been long fixed with BIOS updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: BunnyKraken

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
To the latest...either or both boards. If it's not at the latest there are lots of fixes and improvements by doing so, way more than just the TPM related stuttering.

BTW, I'd suggest leaving the TPM (not TPU) enabled if you use a Microsoft account to sync your Windows activation keys. That way you're getting the security it offers for validating logons. I would like to think more services will start using it too; one already is a game launcher as an anti-cheat device. Stuttering has been long fixed with BIOS updates.
Thanks for your reply, I asume I need to have TPM enabled before I install Win11 from USB ?

Thanks for your reply, I asume I need to have TPM enabled before I install Win11 from USB ?
As I understand it, yes. I think good practice is to also be operating in UEFI mode with CSM disabled. After it's installed you can enable Secure Boot.

You can disable the TPM and as well operate in CSM (Compatibility Support Mode), which disables Secure Boot, after install. But it gains you nothing to do so and it negates whatever security they offer...or will in the future. These features are not like the early days of running anti-virus software as they really have no noticeable impact on performance or operation.