Question BIOS update problem. Concerned about other parts.

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Hi. I recently tried to update my ASRock A320M-HDV motherboard bios version.

I previously had version P1.30 and tried updating to 3.40. The update finished successfully but afterwards it never rebooted properly. Booting up only shows a black screen.

I am not too sure what the problem is. I tried removing power cable, taking CMOS out, restarting a bunch of a times, etc.

I could look into replacing it but I was wondering, is there any chance any of the other parts could also be messed up after the bios update (everything is on stock settings)?

Thanks

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Hi.

I recently tried updating the bios version on my ASRock A320M-HDV from P1.30 to 3.40.

The update finished successfully but the PC never rebooted properly. Always has a black screen on reboot.

I've tried some things like taking the power cable out, taking out cmos, rebooting a bunch of times, etc. But nothing worked.

I could look into replacing the board but I was wondering, is there any chance the bios update could have damaged other parts (everything is running on stock)?

Thanks

Hi.

I recently tried updating the bios version on my ASRock A320M-HDV from P1.30 to 3.40.

The update finished successfully but the PC never rebooted properly. Always has a black screen on reboot.

I've tried some things like taking the power cable out, taking out cmos, rebooting a bunch of times, etc. But nothing worked.

I could look into replacing the board but I was wondering, is there any chance the bios update could have damaged other parts (everything is running on stock)?

Thanks
Please list all system specs, including PSU. Can you get into the updated BIOS? It's possible that some of the settings were reset (like PEG mode, or legacy/UEFI boot), which could cause the system to not boot.

In any case, updating the BIOS should not damage any of the components.

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Please list all system specs, including PSU. Can you get into the updated BIOS? It's possible that some of the settings were reset (like PEG mode, or legacy/UEFI boot), which could cause the system to not boot.

In any case, updating the BIOS should not damage any of the components.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400
Motherboard: ASRock A320M-HDV
GPU: MSI RTX 3060
PSU: Corsair CX 550W 80+Bronze

I can't get into the bios. When I power on, the monitor only shows a black screen. Keyboard and mouse also don't light up. Fans and everything are spinning but nothing on display, not even motherboard logo.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What MAY have happened is that the BIOS Update reset the mobo to a default option to send video information out of the HDMI socket on the rear panel of the MOBO, and NOT from the output of your video card. IF that has happened, you would get nothing on your monitor.

Try changing the cable that feeds your monito to the HDMI socket on the rear panel instead, THEN try to boot up. If you get a dsiplay that way, you can use that to guide getting into BIOS Setup to change some configuration options. ONE of those may be to change the default display output to use your video card. When done making changes, remember to go via the Exit Menu to SAVE and EXIT. While the machine is rebooting, change the video cable back to your video card's output socket.

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
What MAY have happened is that the BIOS Update reset the mobo to a default option to send video information out of the HDMI socket on the rear panel of the MOBO, and NOT from the output of your video card. IF that has happened, you would get nothing on your monitor.

Try changing the cable that feeds your monito to the HDMI socket on the rear panel instead, THEN try to boot up. If you get a dsiplay that way, you can use that to guide getting into BIOS Setup to change some configuration options. ONE of those may be to change the default display output to use your video card. When done making changes, remember to go via the Exit Menu to SAVE and EXIT. While the machine is rebooting, change the video cable back to your video card's output socket.

I've tried putting an HDMI cable in the video card and in the motherboard. Neither of them did anything to the display.