Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
Hello there. I've been trying to fix these issues for a while but I can't find an answer. This has never happened before to me or anyone I know. I try to provide as much detail as possible. Please let me know if you can help me out.

System Specs:

• RTX 3060 Ti
  • Ryzen 5 5600x
  • 32 GB 3200 mhz
  • 750w PSU

I started noticing these issues when I recently started to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019 again. I would start a game and I would get 144 FPS no problem. However, every two or so games I would get below 90 FPS. No big deal. I would just leave the match and start another one. This went on for some time. 144 FPS for two or three games and then I would get one game that ran poorly. I would like to note that game mode and the map have nothing to do with how the game performs.

I decided to play the Warzone game mode with a friend of mine but it got unplayable. I started the match with about 90 FPS. Naturally I decided to lower the graphics settings. For whatever reason this made it even worse. I had the texture quality set to High, when I turned it all the way down to Low, the game dropped to less than 20 FPS. I lowered the resolution and it got to about 15 FPS. Then it crashed. The next day I decided to play again to see if I could find a reason as to why this was happening. The game went super smooth at about 130 FPS.

Today I decided to play Rainbow Six Siege with my friend. I used to get way more than 144 FPS easily. I decided to play a round of Training Grounds to warm up. I was only getting like 95 FPS so I lowered the resolution until I got 144 FPS. When we started our match. I started with 144 FPS. As the match progressed my FPS kept getting worse and worse until it reached 20 FPS and the game crashed. I was able to record a video with MSI Afterburner showing the GPU and CPU info. One thing I noticed is that the GPU wattage kept going down while the memory speed, GPU usage and temperature remained unchanged. I'm not sure if that is what is causing this whole thing or it's just a consequence of whatever is happening. I kept reopening the game to get more footage but every time I reopened the game crashed quicker than last time. Last time I tried I didn't even get to the opening cinematic of the game event before crashing. (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4Sii29QEE
)

Please note that all my drivers are up to date and there's no malware or malicious programs installed on my PC.

Solution
Cpu and ram seem fine then. Yeah try reseating, trying 1x 16gb instead.

Anything in bios you remember changing besides xmp?

Don't think it's Geforce driver related since you've tried others.

If in case it's Windows related, can you test a fresh install on another drive?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming cpu temps is fine because mhz doesn't change but video quality is low, can just make it out. Just to clarify check cpu temp.

Is all ram accounted for and usable? No hardware reserved or missing amount? How many sticks is 32gb? Can try reseating, try different combination installed to troubleshoot.

What is psu brand/model and it's age?

Can you try 3060ti in another pc?

Have you tried an older Geforce driver?

Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
Assuming cpu temps is fine because mhz doesn't change but video quality is low, can just make it out. Just to clarify check cpu temp.

Is all ram accounted for and usable? No hardware reserved or missing amount? How many sticks is 32gb? Can try reseating, try different combination installed to troubleshoot.

What is psu brand/model and it's age?

Can you try 3060ti in another pc?

Have you tried an older Geforce driver?

I'm sorry. I didn't realize the video quality was that low. Here's a better quality version (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NeOkQXnxFA
) Temps are fine I think.

All ram is good! I got 2 16 GB sticks.

I actually messed up. It's not 750w. It's a Corsair Rm850x. I got this PC with all of its parts less than a year ago.

I unfortunately don't have the chance to test the 3060 ti with another pc at the moment :(

Since I started having these issues I've been through two NVIDIA driver updates. Should I still try to downgrade to an older driver?

It's 1am already so I'll have to do the ram reseating later but I will get back to you on that.

Also I restarted my PC and I was able to play a Siege match. Still getting 90~ FPS but at least it didn't crash this time. It's super weird because I'm able to get 144 FPS on Modern Warfare (not all of the time as I said ofc) which is definitely a more demanding game than Siege. I really don't know what's going on.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Solution

Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020

I tried reseating the ram but nothing changed.
I don't think I've changed any BIOS settings other than XMP.
I guess I will have to try another Windows install. Unfortunately I don't have a hard drive on me right now so I will get one probably tomorrow. If the issue still persists even in the new install then the problem is hardware related right? Hopefully that's not the case. I'm fairly convinced it is a Windows issue.

Serpenoid

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
Or actually, leaving task manager running in the background as well to rule out anything dodgy that antivirus isn't detecting and hides when tm is running.

YOO Guess What??

I installed Windows in a separate HDD and I'm getting 250+ FPS at Ultra settings in Siege. IT IS A WINDOWS ISSUE. I guess I'm reinstalling Windows in my SSD and stuff now. Kinda sad that we are never going to find out exactly what was causing all of this mess but hey at least I can fix it now!

Thank you so much for helping me out. Has anyone you've ever helped in this forum said I love you? Because I love you. You're the man my guy. TYSM

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Lol no problem. Yeah, possibly and probably a windows update gone wrong or dodgy. Knowing which KB update it was that caused it is difficult to find out unless search around for performance related issues due to whichever update then try uninstall it, which is usually easy enough.

Hopefully doesn't happen again and glad it's not anything to do with your hardware. Or not the ssd hopefully. Let us know how you go.