Question Black screen after BIOS when GPU is plugged in

Mar 9, 2023
I just installed a new GPU. When I boot the system I have normal access to the BIOS, I can change settings, select a boot device, etc.

As soon as the BIOS part is over, I get a black screen. The monitor doesn't turn off or lose the signal, the signal is just all black.

When I unplug the power of the GPU, I can boot normally using internal graphics. (Although the fan goes crazy for some reason)

My BIOS is up-to-date. I've tried with a different cable, (both HDMI and DP) and I've unplugged the sata connectors of every hdd/ssd.

I had an nvidia GPU before (1060) and switched to an AMD card. (5700xt)

I've tried booting my normal OS or from a thumbdrive, but I get the same blank screen no matter what.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
pleas include the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model.

Did you run DDU prior to removing the Nvidia GPU from your build?

Mar 9, 2023
Sorry about that.

CPU: AMD-FX-8300
CPU-Cooler: I don't know, and it'd be a pain to find the exact model, is it relevant even though I didn't touch CPU/cooler while installing the GPU? Also, since the system works fine without the GPU it seems to not be related to the CPU.
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
RAM: If the exact make & model are relevant, I can try to find them, but it's 16 GB of DDR3
PSU: Corsair VS450, I don't know the exact age, but I'm guessing 5–6 years
GPU: 5700xt
SSD/HDD & OS: I don't think this is too relevant since it's happening without it? I had NixOS on my SSD before, I also tried to boot nix and Ubuntu from a USB stick.
Monitor: I can't seem to find the exact model, but it's an AOC 144hz Free Sync one

Did you run DDU prior to removing the Nvidia GPU from your build?

I'd honestly never heard about this, but from a quick google search, it seems that this is not something you need to do when running linux?

I hope that covers it, if there's more relevant information I forgot about please tell me and I'll find it.

rgd1101

Don't
Sorry about that.

CPU: AMD-FX-8300
CPU-Cooler: I don't know, and it'd be a pain to find the exact model, is it relevant even though I didn't touch CPU/cooler while installing the GPU? Also, since the system works fine without the GPU it seems to not be related to the CPU.
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
RAM: If the exact make & model are relevant, I can try to find them, but it's 16 GB of DDR3
PSU: Corsair VS450, I don't know the exact age, but I'm guessing 5–6 years
GPU: 5700xt
SSD/HDD & OS: I don't think this is too relevant since it's happening without it? I had NixOS on my SSD before, I also tried to boot nix and Ubuntu from a USB stick.
Monitor: I can't seem to find the exact model, but it's an AOC 144hz Free Sync one

I'd honestly never heard about this, but from a quick google search, it seems that this is not something you need to do when running linux?

I hope that covers it, if there's more relevant information I forgot about please tell me and I'll find it.
get a new psu. probably need a new cpu/motherboard/ram too

Apr 27, 2023
I have the sulotion to your problem
The problem is amd radeon drivers
So you need to uninstall radeon driver and after it you can restart your pc and get in the bios settings and when you change the settings type save and exit after it you can download radeon drivers again but you must know that you cant open bios settings with radeon driver
And if something happens wrong with bios settings you can reset the settings

Reactions: CountMike