Question Black screen after enabling Secure Boot along with enrolling Platform Key ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2021
Hello, so I tried to enable Secure Boot in preparations for Windows 11. What i did was:
  1. Disabled CSM
  2. Saved and rebooted
  3. Enrolled Platform Key
  4. Enabled Secure Boot
  5. Saved, rebooted and black screen (no signal)
I can also hear 5 short beeps and VGA led is red (I am not sure if it happend before as I didn't have speaker connected and don't remember if led was active)

What I tried already:
  1. BIOS reset with pins
  2. CMOS battery pulled out and in
  3. Confirmed that GPU is working in another PC
  4. Tried two different GPUs separately in PCIE x16 and PCIE x8 slots
  5. Tried without any GPU
  6. Swapped RAMs
  7. Checked that NumLock is not changing led on keyboard
Specs:
Intel Core i9 9900KF
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
MSI R9 390
2x8GB HyperX Fury2666MHz
Seasonic FOCUS GX-750 80Plus Gold 750W

Do you have any idea what else I could do? I am losing hope already

Jun 29, 2021
does your GPU have uefi compatible vbios? u can check with that another PC if uefi mode will work and gpu-z will report eufi bios marked
Looks like it is compatible
ZKU4M74.png

Jun 29, 2021
Great news guys! I ordered CH341A programmer 2 days ago and it came today, after hours of trying different versions of the programmer's software I was able to erase old BIOS and write a new one without desoldering the chip (using test clip), there are a lot of guides on internet how to do this (at least for CH341A, you have to check what is yours chip model).

After that plugged I the motherboard (without CPU or drives to make sure that only motherboard will go to waste if anything goes wrong). Fans were spinning and everything looked good so I started attaching more and more things to motherboard.

Before attaching any drives I attached GPU to check if BIOS is working (CPU without integrated graphics) and it was working, CSM was enabled (fu** you Secure Boot) by default with brand new BIOS version.

I suspect two things that could be the problem. The most probable scenario was that Secure Boot didn't allow my GPU to work, so no BIOS for me. Second scenario is that backup BIOS kicked in at some point and that backup BIOS was probably older than main and was F5 (my CPU is supported since F9). In this case the motherboard would have to magically pick main BIOS after flashing so it is probably first scenario.

I also read that some shops can do it as well, they have equipment and experience so it will be much safer.

Reactions: Mikel28183.81
Jul 27, 2021
Great news guys! I ordered CH341A programmer 2 days ago and it came today, after hours of trying different versions of the programmer's software I was able to erase old BIOS and write a new one without desoldering the chip (using test clip), there are a lot of guides on internet how to do this (at least for CH341A, you have to check what is yours chip model).

After that plugged I the motherboard (without CPU or drives to make sure that only motherboard will go to waste if anything goes wrong). Fans were spinning and everything looked good so I started attaching more and more things to motherboard.

Before attaching any drives I attached GPU to check if BIOS is working (CPU without integrated graphics) and it was working, CSM was enabled (fu** you Secure Boot) by default with brand new BIOS version.

I suspect two things that could be the problem. The most probable scenario was that Secure Boot didn't allow my GPU to work, so no BIOS for me. Second scenario is that backup BIOS kicked in at some point and that backup BIOS was probably older than main and was F5 (my CPU is supported since F9). In this case the motherboard would have to magically pick main BIOS after flashing so it is probably first scenario.

I also read that some shops can do it as well, they have equipment and experience so it will be much safer.
How much did it cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.