[SOLVED] Black screen after installing UX Theme Patcher. Safe Mode isn't even working on Windows 10

Feb 25, 2022
This is probably the most ridiculously stupid thing I've done to my PC.

I was trying to change up my PC's appearance some more after getting settled with Rainmeter and Wallpaper Engine so I decided to give UXTheme Patcher a shot (note, its not UltraUXThemePatcher). After rebooting my rig, the screen was completely black and the cursor flickering between the circular loading icon and the cursor. Here's what I've tried so far:

I tried to restore my PC from a restore point I made right before trying all of this. The restore has failed three times loading two different restore points generated at different times this week both manually and automatically. Neither worked.

I've tried booting into Safe Mode. The screen is black there too and the cursor flickers even more intensely.

I've managed to access the Command Prompt in the advanced options section of the boot menu and managed to pin down that my boot drive was E:\. After navigating to E:\Windows\Resources\Themes, I only found the standard Aero themes. At this point, I went back to root and deleted the UX Theme Patcher folder outright (since the uninstaller files weren't running) and it still didn't do anything.

I'm not sure if I'm just an idiot or not but I made a recovery drive on the laptop I'm writing this on and its not recognizing it in any way in the System Repair section of things. Then again, this could be a motherboard problem because whatever deity or patron saint in charge of computers hates me specifically... or that my PC is effectively the Ford Fiesta of gaming rigs: good enough to get you there but ugly enough to make you ashamed of yourself for being cheap.

I'm kind of at my wits end here. I have some old projects that I desperately want to keep which includes an entire years' worth of custom-made resources for Twitch streaming and Youtube. I don't completely know if that stuff will be safe if I choose to do a System Reset or if it gets wiped along with the rest. Heck, I'm not even sure if a Reset will solve the problem. Does anyone have any advice?

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive

You can use this to copy info off the PC
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd
an alternative is to boot off a Ubuntu live USB and copy files using it - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

I would do a clean install as I have seen resets fail in the past, easier to just start again
follow this guide...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive

You can use this to copy info off the PC
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd
an alternative is to boot off a Ubuntu live USB and copy files using it - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

I would do a clean install as I have seen resets fail in the past, easier to just start again
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution