Question Black Screen During Gaming Or Shortly After Finishing - But Can Still Hear Discord/Desktop

codelode

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Hello,

I'm encountering a perplexing black screen issue that primarily occurs during or shortly after gaming sessions. While I've run numerous diagnostics and tests, I'm still without a solution and am seeking your expertise.

System Specifications:
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE X670E AORUS XTREME (ITE IT8689E)
- PSU: HX1200
- RAM: Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30-38-38-96 1.35V 32GB (2x16GB)
- Cooling: Custom soft-tube watercooling

Symptoms:
- Black screens occur predominantly during gaming or immediately after.
- Despite the black screen, desktop audio (e.g., Discord, game sounds) often continues without interruption.
- Black screens typically necessitate a system restart, but there was an instance where the system self-restarted after a prolonged black screen.
- Task-switching, especially alt-tabbing out of games, seems to be a common trigger.

Diagnostic Details:
1. Event Viewer: Identified unexpected shutdowns and associated DistributedCOM, BugCheck, and volmgr errors.
2. HWInfo: GPU, motherboard, and CPU stats were captured. Key observations:
- GPU 12V rail voltage ranged between 11.5V and 12.3V.
- Overall temperatures across components were within expected limits.

Actions Taken & Observations:
1. GPU reseating.
2. GPU driver clean reinstall using DDU.
3. BIOS and chipset drivers updated.
4. Stress tests run with the system showing stability under consistent high load.
5. Black screen issue remains despite these measures.

Challenges & Constraints:
- The custom watercooling setup makes component swaps (especially GPU, CPU, and MOBO) cumbersome.
- Easier to switch out PSU and RAM.

Next Steps & Pending Actions:
1. Planning to deploy a GPU support bracket.
2. Considering testing with a new PSU.

Request:
Any insights or potential solutions would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to further diagnostic tests and can provide memory dumps or other necessary files upon request.

Your expertise and time are invaluable, and I thank you in advance for any guidance!

Have you enabled EXPO for your RAM in BIOS? (or have tried using one of the other EXPO profiles?) Have you tried disabling EXPO and trying to game again to see if it still black screens? My system was having similar issues with the same RAM. Have you also used the curve optimizer for your cpu? (this also caused similar issues for me until I played around with the negative offsets per core and nailed it down.)

Reactions: codelode

codelode

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Have you enabled EXPO for your RAM in BIOS? (or have tried using one of the other EXPO profiles?) Have you tried disabling EXPO and trying to game again to see if it still black screens? My system was having similar issues with the same RAM. Have you also used the curve optimizer for your cpu? (this also caused similar issues for me until I played around with the negative offsets per core and nailed it down.)
Come to think of it, I did recently enable PBO, but I had been using the EXPO profile since last December without issue. I'll give EXPO off a shot, or one of the other profiles, and try turning PBO back off.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Not well. Disabling EXPO actually caused more problems to come up - games caused black screen almost immediately if anything remotely intensive comes up. PBO didn't seem to have much impact though.
Damn. Sorry I couldnt help out, hopefully someone else can jump on this post that might have a better idea of what is actually going on. Hope you eventually get this issue fixed.

Reactions: codelode

codelode

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Oddly I can play league just fine (knock on wood), as well as like PGA 2k23, and War Thunder, all maxxed settings 4k, no problems.

But god forbid I launch Battle Bit or play more than 40 minutes of Baldurs Gate 3.

Latest posts