Question Black screen, no power to usbs, all fans led lights work but cannot get pas POST

Oct 29, 2019
Hello all!

First off, this is my current build:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/37zGGc

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Killer/3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2 GB Video Card ($315.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer G215HVAbd 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor

My issue started like this. On Saturday, I played mostly all day without any issues. I played CoD Moder Warfare, Rocket Leage and PUBG. Turned off at night, went to sleep, woke up Sunday morning and turned the computer on, fans and led lights stated as usual but my monitor remained black, would not go past POST, no beep, and my keyboard and mouse would not light up either. At this point, it would sometimes restart, and do it all over again (boot loop) -- So, here is what I did and found from here on out:

1. Turned it off, unplugged the PSU and turned it off as well.

2. Opened the case, dusted it and made sure that everything was in place and not loose.

3. Unplugged everything except for the GPU's DVI, but the issue persisted.

4. I then removed one RAM, and tried that. Nothing, no beep -- Did the same with the other RAM, no beep.

4. Removed both RAMs, no beep.

5. At this point, I noticed that it would sometimes not go on a boot loop and jus stay turned on, which I guess it is a better sign?

6. Removed the GPU, cleaned it, put it back on (I don't have an iGPU to test) - no dice

7. Removed the GPU again, and tried another slot..nothing. But I did notice that the fans would spin for about 5 seconds and then shut down. Every other fan in the case would stay running, including the CPU fan -- this behavior is happening in both GPU slots.

8. Removed the CMOS battery and used the jumper as well = nothing.

9. Replaced the CMOS battery

10. Made sure the CPU was sitting ok

10. Removed all the SATA cables and any other cables not needed for basic boot up = same behavior.

11. Plugged in my Xbox controller to see if it lights up, and it does for a second and then the light goes off

12. Turned everything off, removed every cable, even the PSU one, and pressed the power button for more than 30 seconds, and nothing.

At this point, I am clueless as to what the problem is and stumbled that it happened overnight after shutting it down just fine. Any other tests I could try? I am getting a PSU tester from Amazon just in case, but I also have a feeling it could be the GPU or RAM, but I hope that it is not the MOBO..that would suck.