[SOLVED] Black Screen when installing RX 480 Drivers

Apr 10, 2019
I got an rx 480 and I get a black screen whenever I try installing the 19.4.1 drivers. It's on a fresh install of Windows 10 pro. It gets halfway through the install and goes black. After rebooting, it's still black. Does the OS need to be updated before installing or anything? Or is there maybe some weird motherboard setting causing the issue? It did the same thing with an r9 380 as well.

My specs:
Biostar A320MH Pro motherboard
AMD Ryzen 1300x
2x4gb Ballastix 2666 mhz ram
MSI RX 480 4GB
Rosewill 700w PSU

Solution
I've had this issue before. You might ne installing an older release of windows 10. Try downloading the latest release of windows 10 and install. Make sure to download the AMD drivers first. After installing windows, make sure internet isn't connected and install AMD drivers before updating windows.
Apr 10, 2019
older driver works?
I just tried 18.12.3 and it did the same thing. The drivers got almost to halfway and just went to a black screen. Not sure what's going on.

Try and install the drivers before this version and see if it happens.

As far as your OS, yes I would allow Windows to update fully before worrying about anything else. Itll probably require more then a few restarts.
I'm waiting on a wifi adapter to get it online. I'll try again after installing the updates. So would the drivers maybe set-up to only work after a certain version of Windows 10 or something?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019
same thing with r9 380
could be the psu
Yeah, it might be the psu. It's weird that the display works until the driver is installing. I also tried updating my mobo bios and switch slots for the 8-pin connector on my psu, but still got the same issue. Does Windows not being up to date make a difference?

Apr 10, 2019
Welp, tried updating and somehow got the black screen again. Wonder if Windows 10 auto-installed the drivers. I'm going to try installing a GTX 1060 to try ruling out the PSU.

Mar 1, 2019
I've had this issue before. You might ne installing an older release of windows 10. Try downloading the latest release of windows 10 and install. Make sure to download the AMD drivers first. After installing windows, make sure internet isn't connected and install AMD drivers before updating windows.

Solution
Apr 10, 2019
I just tried it on a completely updated version of Windows. Same issue pops up. Just not sending a signal to the monitor once it hits somewhere between 30% and 50%. I'm about ready to give up on this.

Aug 13, 2019
I just tried it on a completely updated version of Windows. Same issue pops up. Just not sending a signal to the monitor once it hits somewhere between 30% and 50%. I'm about ready to give up on this.

Any update on your issue?

I've been having this problem since day one.

The screen goes black because the installer hits the spot where the new driver is initated. Normally it'd blink a few times and the screen returned; in my case the monitor goes to a kindof a factory fallback and shows fullscreen colors.

The Windows default driver update's version is called Crimson, and that's the latest driver that works for me and I cant install newer ones.