[SOLVED] Black screen white underscore static line after chipset update - Gigabyte

May 11, 2022
Hello,

SPECS:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core
Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard
NvIdia GTX 780
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5 ‘’ 7200 RPM
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (this has windows 10)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified fully modular

I had some issues with my newly built rig where it would randomly shut off while gaming (one game of CSGO would shut it off but 2 hours of Valorant wouldn't??) Anyway after a lot of troubleshooting and still tryna figure out where the issue is, I've tried updating the MOBO drivers. I have an AMD chipset so AMD downloaded it's own installer, figured out which driver I needed and installed them all (I believe there were like 5 of them). Once I rebooted my PC only to be greeted by the blackscreen with a static white underscore line.

So I couldn't access BIOS or safe mode and reinstalled Windows 10 anew and start over. Now I re-downloaded the proper drivers, including the BIOS update and am only missing the chipset drivers. I am not sure as to how to proceed and any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is the white cursor showing in top left corner of screen as soon as you start PC?
is it there at startup?

My X570 shows a white cursor at start up before loading BIOS flash screen and loading windows. It shouldn't stay there long

you could flash bios using Q flash + and not need to be able to get into BIOS

I have an AMD chipset so AMD downloaded it's own installer, figured out which driver I needed and installed them all (I believe there were like 5 of them).
if you mean you got the B550 chipset drivers from AMD, there are maybe 6 drivers in pack - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-4-03-03-431

random shutdowns aren't a windows thing. Could be hardware.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022
Yes now it works, i reinstalled Windows 10 on it. Before, the white line would remain static at the top left of my screen. I waited up to an hour for the screen to change but nothing. This happened after I updated my AMD chipset drivers. It wouldnt go into BIOS or Safe mode. I reinstalled Windows 10 and now have also flashed my Bios (version F15a for my mobo). Now I'm wondering if i should try re installing the chipset drivers again and expect different results.

The drivers were installed using the AMD driver installer, automatically downloaded

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you on latest BIOS, it shouldn't have same reaction to newest Chipset drivers.
They should match better than newest drivers on an older BIOS

I waiting until the newest BIOS released in May before updating my BIOS as its meant to fix a problem windows 11 has. Its not out yet.

I hadn't seen driver installer before. I normally go to the chipset website.

May 11, 2022
Okay I will try re-installing them then, thank you!
Yeah idk it did that twice for me, when I downloaded it from Gigabyte directly and also when I got it from AMD. Both times it downloaded the amd installer

May 11, 2022
Well I just turned my computer back on this morning and it's now giving me the black screen again, haven't touched anything since my post so idk what's going on. I appreciate everyone for the help