Question Black screen with cursor after fresh install

Terence McCormick

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
I reset my PC because of some lag issues and everything was fine. Got all my applications and everything back installed. I shut down my computer (Windows shut down, not a hard reset) and when I turn it back on I get some error saying something happened and windows cannot boot properly. I continued to boot up windows but all I was left with was a black screen with my cursor.

I tried to factory reset it again, but as soon as the installation completes, I'm still left with the black screen again and can't continue with the install. This makes no sense to me as it was just working perfectly fine.

My guess is my ssd as it's the cheap Kingston one, but it gets detected and I can still install windows onto it, but no image is displayed when it's finished.

My reason for the first reset was because I would get huge lag spikes at random intervals and my entire pc would lock up and freeze for a few seconds, and then go a million miles a second to catch up with what I was trying to do while it was locking up. I'm not sure if this is a sign of a dying ssd, but I tested it not too long ago and my read/write speeds were up to par.

I am currently trying yet another clean install, but I highly doubt it will do anything.

Jul 17, 2019
. I shut down my computer (Windows shut down, not a hard reset) and when I turn it back on I get some error saying something happened and windows cannot boot properly. I continued to boot up windows but all I was left with was a black screen with my cursor.

I tried to factory reset it again, but as soon as the installation completes, I'm still left with the black screen again and can't continue with the install. This makes no sense to me as it was just working perfectly fine.
I did the same thing before but it was fixed. I did format the hard disk before installing. And Windows 10 boot normal.

So, you can try this.
Download the Windows 10 iso and burn it to your flashdisk. Enter the BIOS menu and change the boot order to flashdisk. After that it boot to installation. Before you install there is hard drive windows (or what is it). Format your harddisk. And it will boot normally.

Sorry if my English is bad.