MariusP

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
I tried toying around in the BIOS, because my CPU was always at around 70 degrees, and enabled the Precision Boost Overdrive option in the BIOS. I ran Cinebench a few times, but the program always crashed, the voltage was at 1.36. So i figured maybe the voltage was the issue. So I went back in the BIOS and enabled the option "AMD Overclock" in the CPU Core Voltage line.
Now when I power up my PC, all I find is a black screen, my mouse and my keyboard are not powered, I don't even get the MSI Bios logo... The leds on the GPU and on the RAM are still red though, so the MB does recognize them. I have no idea what the problem is or could be, and even less how to fix it, as I am a complete newbie in this domain.
Help would be very appreciated!

My build :
  • MSI x470 gaming Pro
  • AMD ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI rx5700 xt
  • 2*8GB RAM (G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000)
  • Seasonic S12 PSU
  • M.2 NVME from Intel

Last edited:
Solution
in order sasked
the firmware will reset to default settings. memory speeds and voltages, CPU speed, any settings you made in the BIOS will be undone.

no. unless you meant to change the firmware the likelihood that you did accidentally is low to none. its a specific process and only that process would remove the CPU support from the firmware.

there is nothing to lose by resetting the BIOS, except the settings that are currently set. remove the battery from the motherboard and unplug the computer for half an hour. replace battery and reconnect power, the BIOS is now cleared and reset to the firmware defaults. any setting that might have prevented boot will be gone.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it sounds like the motherboard has the wrong BIOS installed and does not support the CPU. if true you will need to install the proper BIOS on the motherboard ( version 7B79v1A) and you will need a supported CPU to update the BIOS.
you will need a ryzen 1 or 2 and the proper BIOS, you can then update the firmware and swap CPU's back and the board should work after the update.

MariusP

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Thank you for the quick reply. I had that problem of the bios not beeing able to support the CPU when i first built my PC. I went to a local shop, and they installed the new firmware, and my PC ran until now. Is it possible that by changing the CPU core voltage it reset my BIOS? That would be very weird no?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Thank you for the quick reply. I had that problem of the bios not beeing able to support the CPU when i first built my PC. I went to a local shop, and they installed the new firmware, and my PC ran until now. Is it possible that by changing the CPU core voltage it reset my BIOS? That would be very weird no?

no the firmware needs to be flashed, resetting the BIOS only reverts to the last version installed. you would need to flash the BIOS to uninstall/revert/change versions.

very weird

MariusP

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
no the firmware needs to be flashed, resetting the BIOS only reverts to the last version installed. you would need to flash the BIOS to uninstall/revert/change versions.

very weird
What happens if I reset the cmos? Will it do so that I cannot use it with my cpu and I will need to go back to the shop? Or is it worth a try?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in order sasked
the firmware will reset to default settings. memory speeds and voltages, CPU speed, any settings you made in the BIOS will be undone.

no. unless you meant to change the firmware the likelihood that you did accidentally is low to none. its a specific process and only that process would remove the CPU support from the firmware.

there is nothing to lose by resetting the BIOS, except the settings that are currently set. remove the battery from the motherboard and unplug the computer for half an hour. replace battery and reconnect power, the BIOS is now cleared and reset to the firmware defaults. any setting that might have prevented boot will be gone.

Solution