Status
Not open for further replies.

andrei09able

Honorable
Oct 28, 2014
Hello. Is it possible to block a device from connecting to the internet on my router even if it's connected with a cable? Or block internet traffic for that specific device even if it's connected to the router?
I managed to block it's access on Wi-Fi but I can't find a way to do it for DHCP connections.
Also, is it possible to manage priority for devices connected to the router be it with a cable or over Wi-Fi?
I'm using a TP-Link.

Solution
Look up the user's manual for your TP-Link router (there a quite a few of them, so it might help to know exactly which model you have).
Depending on your model, you may have features such as MAC Address blocking

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Look up the user's manual for your TP-Link router (there a quite a few of them, so it might help to know exactly which model you have).

-Wolf sends

Solution

andrei09able

Honorable
Oct 28, 2014

-Wolf sends
I found an option to add rules that Deny the packets specified by any enabled access control policy to pass through the Router for a host and I created a host with the MAC address of the device I want to block and added it to that rule. It seems to be working. Thanks for giving me the idea.

TP-Link TL-WR841N User's Guide

Check sections 9 and 10, Parental Controls and access controls. Each device has a specific MAC address. While the IP address can change, the MAC address cannot.

-Wolf sends
MAC addresses can be spoofed quite easily. In fact it's nothing more than just another setting on the interface's settings dialog. MAC address filtering hasn't been a viable option for many years now.

I found an option to add rules that Deny the packets specified by any enabled access control policy to pass through the Router for a host and I created a host with the MAC address of the device I want to block and added it to that rule. It seems to be working. Thanks for giving me the idea.
Nice! ACLs are a lot better since they bind to a MAC address versus an IP. Keep in mind that if the user changes their MAC address they can bypass either restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.