Question Blue screen after gpu driver installed

SmokingBones

Reputable
Jun 4, 2017
So i have been strugling for 3 months to get my GTX Asus ROG 1080 to work again. One day i installed the latest driver from geforce experience and later used boost mode in GPU Tweak II for better performance in COD Warzone. The next day the screen just went black during normal use. Troubleshooting: It seems like i tried everything so i'll just list all the things. First i changed my PCI-e slot then I tried to get it running on another computer but was met just with a black screen in both cases. I reinstalled the driver and uninstalled the GPU Tweak app using a different gpu. I installed a clean install of windows, updated Bios version of motherboard and installed no programs except geforce experience. After watching numerous videos I updated the firmware and totally dissasembled it and cleaned it with WD40 and a toothbrush. I reapplied the thermal pads and thermal paste and after that I was able to get into the Bios and Windows loading screen with a HDMI plugged into the broken card. Still after the computer got to openning windows it crashed with a blue screen of death with the stop code:"SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED'' what failed:nvlddmkm.sys. When the automatic system repair ran it then crashed with a stop code DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION. Sometimes I can get past the blue screens into windows for a few seconds with the gpu working because the screen resolution is maxed out but then it freezes and crashes with a blue screen. With the driver uninstalled i can see the gpu in HWINFO and it says it's running on only 8 PCIE lanes. I have removed everything that uses PCIE and it never went to 16x. When I used a 2060 Super it ran on 8 lanes also. I have also been noticing that sometimes when i pull the gpu out some static shocks me on the case.

As a side note I have also been thrown into a GNU GRUB version 2.04-9 instead of the startup screen and once immediately after reinstalling the gpu the screen was stuck on orange with white vertical lines. The computer operates normally in safe mode.
The only things i haven't tried yet are using a different psu and as seen on the internet using a heat gun on it to try and reflow it.
Please help me solve this dear netizens and fellow nerds and I will be eternally grateful.

My computer specs are below and in attached photo:
CPU: intel i7-6700K
MOBO:Msi z170a krait gaming 3x
GPU: Nvidia GTX Asus ROG 1080
PSU:EVGA 650W Gold plus
Storage:240GB Samsung SSD
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3000MHz

Specs photo

Lutfij

Titan
I installed a clean install of windows, updated Bios version of motherboard and installed no programs except geforce experience. After watching numerous videos I updated the firmware and totally dissasembled it and cleaned it with WD40 and a toothbrush.
Why on Earth would you want to do that? The PCB is a porous material and WD40 is flammable, if there was a residue of that lubricant, you'd be in the hospital or worse, we'd be hearing of a funeral. Sorry but that's just silly!

You should be using rubbing alcohol, not WD40. The toothbrush, yeah that's fine.

EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the wattage, 80+ Gold is the efficiency rating, it doesn't tell us the model of the unit, since EVGA tend to have hit or miss PSU's even within it's top tier of units. Include the age of the unit. How are you cooling that K suffix processor? What version of Windows 10 are you on? You should ideally be on version 20H2. By clean install, did you fabricate the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

Last edited:

SmokingBones

Reputable
Jun 4, 2017
I installed a clean install of windows, updated Bios version of motherboard and installed no programs except geforce experience. After watching numerous videos I updated the firmware and totally dissasembled it and cleaned it with WD40 and a toothbrush.
Why on Earth would you want to do that?The PCB is a porous materila dn WD40 is flamable, if there was a residue of that lubricant, you'd be in the hopstial or worse, we'd be hearing of a funeral. Sorry but that's just silly!

You should be using rubbing alcohol, not WD40. The toothbrush, yeah that's fine.

EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 650W is the wattage, 80+ Gold is the efficiency rating, it doesn't tell us the model of the unit, since EVGA tend to have hit or miss PSU's even within it's top tier of units. Include the age of the unit. How are you cooling that K suffix processor? What version of Windows 10 are you on? You should ideally be on version 20H2. By clean install, did you fabricate the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?
I was also skeptical of using WD40 but I saw it on Youtube on a channel Tech YES City (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSZ7X2vQO_k&ab_channel=TechYESCity
I'm not sure if links can be posted here but that's my reference). I also cleaned it later with 99% Isopropyl alcohol. The psu is the evga supernova 650 g3. This computer is 6 years old but was regularly cleaned and dusted. The processor is cooled with a Cooler master AIO MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB. The windows was installed on a new SSD with an USB drive created with Windows Media Creation Tools . It is a Windows 10 Pro version 20H2 os build 19042,964.

I hope this helps to solve my case!

Lutfij

Titan
YT videos are there for the sake of entertainment and clicks, only a handful of folks do the right things and share them with their YT audience.

This computer is 6 years old
Your PSU is 6 years old? You need to understand that the capacitors inside the PSU will degrade over time and the effective power output by the PSU will certainly be less than what it was advertised as, let alone what it was doing 6 years ago.

Swap the PSU out for a reliable unit and try powering up the build. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot and manually install the latest drivers from Nvidia in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. BIOS version for your motherboard?

Last edited:
I agree totally with Lutfij but you also need to check what is giving you the static shocks when you touch components in the case. There may be a wire that got caught opening/closing the case and has an exposed wire that is causing things to short, a unused powerheader that is touching something metal. If it is properly gounded you should not be getting shocks like that.

SmokingBones

Reputable
Jun 4, 2017
YT videos are there for the sake of entertainment and clicks, only a handful of folks do the right things and share them with their YT audience.

This computer is 6 years old
Your PSU is 6 years old? You need to understand that the capacitors inside the PSU will degrade over time and the effective power output by the PSU will certainly be less than what it was advertised as, let alone what it was doing 6 years ago.

Swap the PSU out for a reliable unit and try powering up the build. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot and manually install the latest drivers from Nvidia in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. BIOS version for your motherboard?

The PSU is actually 2 years old since i RMA-ed the old one but even using a different 1 year old PSU didn't help. The problem is that on the rare ocasion that i get to install the nvidia driver after putting the GPU back into the system and I don't get a BSOD with a System Service Exception or DPC Watchodg violation, the installation of the driver crashes and I get a BSOD with error code nvlddmkm.sys then on restart some more of the BSODs. At this point the only question left is should I use my heat gun on it at 350 or 550 Celsius or is it even worth the money to bring it to a repair shop. My BIOS version is the latest 7A11v2B Release Date 2018-07-10.

Thank you for your replies.

Last edited: