Blue screen after selecting RAID as intel mode

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hi all, I'm pulling my hair out.

I have a gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 motherboard and 6 HDD's. I have installed windows 5 times in 24 hours and I still cant get my system set up how I want to.

I have:

Drive 1 (SSD)
Drive 2 (500gb velociraptor)

and then 4x 1TB WD Black drives. I want to create 2x 2TB raid0 using the WD Black drives.

When I go into the biod and turn the intel Sata Controller mode from the standard AHCI to RAID as recommended by the board and I then try to boot into windows with OR without having already gone into the raid config screen and created my raid arrays.. I get a flash of a BSOD (doesnt stay on long enough to read) and the PC then restarts to the startup repair screen. If I repair it doesn't fix it, if I continue to start windows as normal I get stuck in a loop.

Now.. when I installed windows I had the intel controller mode set to AHCI. I have read elsewhere that this might cause the BSOD and I should have had that set to RAID BEFORE installing windows.

With this in mind I deleted my arrays and created new volumes with my discs in disk management and I now have 6x seperate HDD's showing in my computer.

I then went into bios and turned the intel controller mode to RAID, and then on next restart booted from windows disc to install for the 6th time in 24 hours..

When I am asked to select which disc I want to install windows on, it shows NONE of my 6 discs.

If I change the intel controller mode back to ACHI I can then boot into windows as normal and see all of my 6 individual drives, however if I change the intel controller to SATA, I then can't boot to windows because of the BSOD and can't boot from disc to reinstall windows because it doesn't see any of my discs when asking where I want to install.

Please help :(

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
from another thread on here with similar options:

Anyway, as to why Windows cannot see your hard drive during installation. This could be a couple of things.
1). Connect your primary hard drive to SATA_1, try a couple of other SATA ports as well if it doesn't work. Sometimes when the bios is set incorrectly it disables a few SATA ports and cannot see drives connected to them.
2). BIOS - Check that your controller is set to AHCI or IDE, disable any raid options.
3). You might need to load 3rd party drivers, this can be done at the drive/partition selection window by hitting "Load Drivers". It's a manual trawl through your driver disk through. This should not be needed unless you opted to use a raid controller.
4). Duff motherboard. Send it back.

However, I've read elsewhere that installing windows with the intel controller set to AHCI instead of RAID is what caused the BSOD so I really dont know what to do now..

Did you download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and load them at OS installation time using F6? That should allow you to install the OS in RAID mode. If your OS is already installed in AHCI mode, you should set the Start value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV to 0 before switching to RAID mode. Then install the drivers.

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Did you download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and load them at OS installation time using F6?

No I did not do this. I wasn't aware I had to. Could you tell me exactly at what point I should be pushing f6.. I am in stalling Windows 7 Ultimate and I don't remember seeing the prompt to push f6 to install any extra drivers.

If your OS is already installed in AHCI mode, you should set the Start value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV to 0 before switching to RAID mode. Then install the drivers.

Ok so once I edit that value how do I go about installing the raid drivers, or would I need to edit the value and then switch the intel config from AHCI to RAID and attempt to install windows again... will windows be able to see my drives this time after changing the iaStorV value to 0?

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
ok I have just tried the following:

Changed that value to 0 (i take it is the top key in the folder that by default said 'no value set') and tried to boot with controller set to RAID.. still got blue screen

I downloaded the Intel Rapit Storage Technology drivers from the intel site, burned them to a cd. I then set intel controller to raid and went to install windows. It still saw no discs so I clicked load driver and navigated to the CD I just burned but windows told me there were no drivers located on that disc.

I then changed intel controller back to AHCI to bot into windows and try to install the intel drivers directly from the disc but there is no .exe or similar that will enable me to install them. I dont know if they're designed to be installed any other way other than through windows but as you can see I tried that and that didnt work either.

I really appreciate people's help and would really love to get this sorted before christmas so there is no delay in getting back to work after the holidays.

Thanks

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
ok ive fixed it.. what I needed to do was change the registry entry as described above (I changed the wrong one originally) and then turn controller to RAID. Then boot into windows installation from the CD and when I see no drives on the list I had to click load driver then navigate to the SATA controller driver on the motherboard disc (I personally had to install the 32 bit version as wouldnt let me install the unsigned 64 bit one) and then my hard drives showed up in the list. Installed windows and on first restart ctrl+I to get into sata config screen where I set up my raid arrays.

All working brilliantly now, thanks very much

Glad you got it working. Did you install the latest version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=22194&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)&lang=eng? They can be very useful.

Edit: File f6flpy-x64.zip contains the 64-bit drivers that can be loaded at installation time and file iata_enu.exe contains drivers and utilities. If not already done, download iata_enu.exe and install it. Then check the information available in Intel Rapid Storage Technology where you can check the status of a RAID and non-RAID drives.

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
thanks for the information. I just loaded the drivers from the motherboard disc.. was so surprised it worked I didn't attempt to get any more recent ones.

I am having occasional issues with not being able to find a boot device to be honest so I may end up reinstalling for the 8th time!! If I do, should I download the filename you specified from that link? Would that be the 64 bit most up to date version?

I'd use the latest drivers, but it isn't necessary if you don't have issues. Not finding a boot device is a BIOS or motherboard issue. I presume the SSD is your boot device? Is it connected to the Intel or the Marvell controller?

Do you have issues if you use a hard disk instead of an SSD as your boot drive? I read your other thread and it looks like the SDD either is defective or incompatible with your motherboard.

Use the latest Intel drivers when installing.

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
have just got the insert boot disk message yet again. I'm lost for words. It's as if it works flawlessly to make me spend hours installing programs and then when everything is done and I restart it, it works fine. Then I leave it overnight and it decides it hates me so stops booting again.

This time I force restarted and it booted fine the next time so its obviously intermittent which makes me think its more likely to be hardware than software. I think I will RMA the SSD as suggested and buy a different one as lost confidence with crucial m4.

can anyone recommend a reliable SSD?

This will mean windows install number 9.

I love my life.

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

do you know how I would use the latest intel drivers when installing? I'm currently only using the ones from the mobo disc so they may be old. I tried to look online to find the up to date drivers but there were so many to choose from I didnt know where to start...

Download f6flpy-x64.zip from the link that I provided, but that won't solve your issues if the SSD is defective. Once the installation is complete, you could download iata_enu.exe to update the drivers (if not done at installation time) and utilities to version 11.7.0.1013. If you still have issues, RMA the SSD or try a hard disk installation to make sure the motherboard isn't at fault.

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

thanks, when ive finished this project I'll give those a go, although to be honest I thought I tried downloading f6flpy-x64.zip previously but cant remember what the outcome was..

What is the iata-enu.exe for? I just tried to run it and it said my pc doesnt meet the minimum requirements to run this program...?

tikigod19

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
whats the ICH10R? The intel mode in the bios has been changed from AHCI to RAID already, I did this before the install. I did open Intel RST software and noticed it said offline or something similar despite having 2 working RAID arrays on the machine which I thought was odd.

I'm spreading this issue accross two threads now which I didnt really mean to do but this thread is slightly more up to date:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/63717-47-built-beast-system-windows

I have now found a way of booting the PC when it refuses to boot as described in the paragraph below. Not sure if this gives any clues as to the cause?

"it's done it again a couple of times. Once after saying insert boot device I just force restarted and it loaded fine, however the most recent time it did not. The hard drive was not showing up in the bios so I booted from the windows cd, progressed as if I were going to install a fresh copy of windows and I clicked 'load drivers' to load the intel rapid storage technology SATA drivers as described in my post a few posts up. When I did this my hard drive showed but instead of installing I cancelled it all and restarted, the drive then showed up in the bios and it booted fine.

Based on this, do you think it is hardware of software related? "

A boot issue always is hardware related. If the hardware isn't detected, then the software can't load. All info that you provided so far indicates a defective SSD or motherboard. It's easy to determine which one is defective by replacing the SSD with a know good hard disk.

The steps that you performed above gave the system more time and it would probably have booted anyway a few minutes later without loading the drivers which obviouly were no longer available as soon as you rebooted. You need to identify what hardware component is faulty.