[SOLVED] Blue Screens, RAM and Chrome

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
Hello, before I get to the core of the problem I'd like to tell you a bit of what is happening.

2 days ago I woke up, got on my computer and everything was fine until I was met with the Memory_Management BSOD, I didn't think too much of it and so restarted and continued to use the computer, eventually Chrome crashed and gave me the "Aw snap" error which forced me to restart my computer or else I wouldn't be able to use it.
Things only went downhill from here, the computer became more and more unstable with apps starting to crash such as discord and chrome before it started to give me various BSODs such as Memory_Management, System_Service_Exception, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and pfn_list_corrupt.

I thought maybe one of my RAM sticks was dying and so I took one out, the rest of the day the computer didn't have anymore BSODs (I played some games and they had a few hiccups but that's the only thing I noticed out of the ordinary). But now let's get to where I stand, to be insured of the RAM stick I need to send both my RAMs back and so I asked a friend of mine to lend me fairly new RAM he had. I got home yesterday, installed them, no problem until later at night it gave me another Memory_Management BSOD and later chrome crashed once more with the "Aw snap" error. P.S: Whenever I get a Memory_Management BSOD it doesn't do a crash dump since it gets stuck at 0%

This is starting to confuse me greatly so any help would be appreciated, I usually try to fix these problems by myself but I'm starting to feel my back against a wall.
Thanks in advance.

Update 1:
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I thought I'd leave it here. Apparently whenever I get a Memory_Management BSOD I always get an error in event viewer that Avast tried to do something, the error is the following:
User hive is loaded by another process (Registry Lock) Process name: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\TuneupSvc.exe, PID: 3828, ProfSvc PID: 1812.

And this doesn't just happen with Avast, whenever Google Chrome crashes with the "Aw snap" I also get a similar error by reading the crash dump, the following being:
Exception error -
The Thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access. 0xC0000005

Like I said, I'm not sure if this is related but considering they both happen when these issues happen it's not a coincidence is it?

Last edited:
Solution
I would get PC looked at in a store, as they should have spare ram sticks they know are good, that they can throw in to test. If they still get BSOD, they should have the spares to work out what is problem.

Memory Management & IRQ errors can be hardware or software. Since we never got any dumps, it has been difficult to tell which. I had hoped axe would reply in last few days.

Odd thing is normally RAM related errors are a lot more random, not just sticking to Memory Management & IRQ, they will throw errors at you that are rarely seen and blame the wrong drivers. Its one reason I didn't just blame ram although my 1st post did say to use memtest... as not all ram errors act the same.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you should test all the ram with Memtest
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

You can use it to test slots as well, so if all the sticks work fine in slot 1, test a stick in the others as it sounds like errors only occur if you have 2 sticks

Windows sees more than just ram as memory. It also includes your hdd as Windows sees the page file, which lives on the boot drive, as memory too. So have you changed the size of the page file? as that is one reason why you might not get dumps

What drives do you have? Try downloading HD sentinel and in the disk menu, run any tests you can - https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
I tried Memtest on my RAM sticks (the ones I assumed one of them was faulty) and it returned no errors but I'm going to do the same with my friend's. I don't think the issue is the slots since I installed the new RAM on both the unused slots, they had never been used before. I also increased the size of the page file yesterday before I went to bed from 2,5gb to 3gb to see if it helps.

My drives are:
CT500BX100SSD1
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332

Also added some new info to the main post.

Thanks for the help so far.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most motherboards have slots you are meant to use if you have 2 sticks, and some slots that are only meant to be used if you have more than 2 sticks.

What motherboard do you have?

your page file has to be at least same size as your ram so that it can create a memory dump. So if you have 16gb, make it that. The PC will never actually use that much but its handy to have it set to default (auto) so that we can catch the errors you are getting.

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
I forgot to mention that I managed to get a few dumps when it was the other blue screens, it just didn't dump any crash dumps when it was the Memory_Management due to the computer freezing completely in the BSOD. If I remember correctly WhoCrashed pointed towards ntoskrnl.exe in all of the occasions. I will increase the page file to 16gb then, The problem is that if I leave it in auto it'll go back to 2,5gb (it also recommends 3gb that's why I changed it to 3).

My motherboard is:
ASUSTek COMPUTER INC.
PRIME H370-PLUS Rev 1.xx
Intel ID3EC2 Rev 07
Intel IDA304 Rev 10
Winbond
PCI-Express

Bios Info:
American Megatrends Inc.
Version 0602
Date 03/23/2018

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you go to c:/windows/minidump
copy the files from here to another folder
upload copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here.

Yes, its hard to create a dump if you frozen

how much ram do you have? Is windows seeing it all?

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
Sadly currently the minidump folder is empty (I restored to a previous restore point the first day I had the blue screen problems) and since then I only had a single Memory_Management blue screen, it's definitely not as aggressive as it was the first day around, despite that it was still not able to create a dump log due to it freezing on 0%. For now the computer has been fine but I wouldn't cross my fingers.

Currently I have 16gb RAM, I had 16gb before too. Windows is detecting 15,9 GB.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had missed your update :)

Update 1:
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I thought I'd leave it here. Apparently whenever I get a Memory_Management BSOD I always get an error in event viewer that Avast tried to do something, the error is the following:
User hive is loaded by another process (Registry Lock) Process name: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\TuneupSvc.exe, PID: 3828, ProfSvc PID: 1812.

And this doesn't just happen with Avast, whenever Google Chrome crashes with the "Aw snap" I also get a similar error by reading the crash dump, the following being:
Exception error -
The Thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access. 0xC0000005

Like I said, I'm not sure if this is related but considering they both happen when these issues happen it's not a coincidence is it?

you could try the next thing for this error - 0xC0000005
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Not sure about Avast error. You could try removing Avast and just use Defender for now, and see if it fixes the BSOD.

can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is shows us what drivers are running on system
when you run it, go into the view menu and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, it will radically reduce list size
Can you take a screenshot showing from (and including) Driver name and ending on Created Date. Upload to an image sharing website and show link here.
I will see what drivers you have and compare against Asus website. I suspect it could be you need a new LAN driver.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is so typical, I ask for date columns, you give me more, the system gives me 3 dates...

So the realtek NIC drivers are from 2015, i can tell from version number
you have 9.1.409.2015
latest on Asus site is 10.31.828.2018

Realtek Audio
you have 6.0.1.7190
newest are: 6.0.1.8339

Both are on here - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H370-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

you are also 8 BIOS versions behind so updating it and afterwards also updating chipset driver could help as well.

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
Alright I'll get on that but on the bright side I'm not getting any problems ever since I changed the Page File, it's hard to tell what's happening now. Also I forgot to mention that you asked at some point about the recommended Mobo slots and they are A2-B2, right now they're on A1-B1.

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you not having any problems, don't do anything and see if it stops.

if you update BIOS you might want to swap ram back into the right slots, as most bios updates increase memory compatibility and they might work better in the correct ones.

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
That's the plan, I'll wait a few days and see what happens. It might have just been a small failure at some point and an isolated problem but never know. I'll get back to you if anything happens, if nothing happens I'll consider this fixed and do the best answer thing.

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
It seems like there were no more blue screens ever since the day I started this thread but recently I've been having quite a few issues, they don't look like they're caused by RAM but I feel like they are. To be more detailed what I've been getting is the following:

-Chrome still crashes now and then, rarely though on a few specific websites that use more memory with the "Aw snap chrome has run out of memory"
-I've noticed that whenever a game crashes it's because "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." and I can tell this is the nVidia driver. In any situation I would say this is some driver problem but seeing as I've updated it and it's still doing that I'm starting to think it's something else.
-Whenever the previous issue happens I get this "Graphics Exception - DATA_RAM_ACCESS_OUT_OF_BOUNDS" and "
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000040"
-Then there's another mention of virtual memory "Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: GTA5.exe (6140) consumed 7949021184 bytes, steamwebhelper.exe (13012) consumed 638636032 bytes, and chrome.exe (12900) consumed 509112320 bytes." My virtual memory is now at 16 gb (same as RAM) to see how it'll go. Note: This only happened once so far.

Once again I tried to resort to my own means but there's so many variables put into this that it's starting to give me headaches.
On a side note I ran memtest 4 times and it gave me no problems, either way I'm just waiting for my old RAM sticks to get changed by a new pair.

Thanks in advance.

Colif

Win 11 Master
-Then there's another mention of virtual memory "Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: GTA5.exe (6140) consumed 7949021184 bytes, steamwebhelper.exe (13012) consumed 638636032 bytes, and chrome.exe (12900) consumed 509112320 bytes."

well, GTA was using almost 8gb, Steam using 6gb, and Chrome 600mb, you would be running low if your page file wasn't same size as ram. It is odd though as if it was set to auto, it shouldn't have run out of memory.

I've noticed that whenever a game crashes it's because "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." and I can tell this is the nVidia driver. In any situation I would say this is some driver problem but seeing as I've updated it and it's still doing that I'm starting to think it's something else.

A few people have been reporting similar recently. Having the newest Nvidia driver isn't always best place to be, Aug & Sept drivers can cause BSOD on older cards, from what I can see. Could try running this and afterwards, run windows update and let it install drivers - it uses older nvidia drivers that are normally more stable = https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Whenever the previous issue happens I get this "Graphics Exception - DATA_RAM_ACCESS_OUT_OF_BOUNDS" and "
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000040"

searching for that code leads to Nvidia. This error is often associated with the previous quote. One person said underclocking card might remove this error - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...0-massive-driver-issues-and-freezes-nvlddmkm/

What Nvidia card do you have? Only ask as its one thing not mentioned so far.

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
Yeah I also found it really weird as to why would steam use 6gb? Like what the hell? Was it a memory leak or something? Either way that one virtual memory exhaustion just happened once.

My nVidia card is a RTX2060 with 6gb VRAM (weirdly enough when I check it on CPU-Z it only shows 4gb but games recognize 6). I don't think my graphics card is overclocked by default and I sure as hell didn't overclock it myself, is it possible something in my computer has made it overclock?

As for the display driver I did what you recommended and now I have the driver version 430.64 which was installed by windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Steamwebhelper is the process Steam uses to display the client. I didn't find any reason as to why it would use that much.

right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and press enter
in next popup, click save all information
this lets you name a text file
upload to aa file sharing website and show link here.

that will tell us how much vram you have
if you click the display tab it should tell you next to Display Memory (VRAM) total. I only have 4gb myself.

2070 new enough that it should work with latest drivers. Not saying to update to them but if any card is suited to them, an RTX card should be.

look in reliability history, there should be a red X for everytime GPU crashes, or might be anyway. Does screen turn off when game crashes or just crashes to desktop and you get that error in notifications? If you find a case of screen turning off in reliability history, how many times did it try before it gave up?

I had a problem last year where GPU would just randomly turn off. The cause wasn't even related to the GPU, it was just what crashed. MIne ended up being my mouse, so do you have any old parts you attached that always worked in the past?

this is what I would see in reliability history (it started over a year ago, ended in Feb)
CH7lQfb.jpg

I doubt yours is caused by same thing but twice now I have started out thinking my GPU was to blame for weird behaviour and both times it was peripherals. Things you plug into PC, not the actual PC itself. I am wary of thinking every person with this problem is getting it for same reason.

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
To answer your questions, what happens is the following: There is no screen flickering at all (I've had display drivers crashing in the past), the game just freezes for like 5 seconds and then crashes to desktop while in the past it would either flicker to black and cause a blue screen. So in a way it's not that bad but it's still inconvenient enough, plus it sometimes but rarely happens when I'm just on chrome, I see chrome flickering and go to the event viewer and there it is "Display driver stopped responding".

But like I said it's very rare when it happens with just chrome, like I think it only happened twice since I've begun to get all these problems. To put it simple it just usually happens once a day and the game just crashes to desktop.

Here's the DxDiag:
https://filebin.net/095z3oisxw9jtrk7/DxDiag.txt?t=nnzhgqj4

And here's the Reliability History:
https://ibb.co/DRKwxTM

Colif

Win 11 Master
DXDiag link is empty

well, it doesn't look like my error which is a good thing. MIne was totally random, I could go weeks without it happening, I still live in fear it will start again, and its been 10 months now :)

Might get you to run this and see what it finds - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

I will get someone else to look at the results of that as I won't be here for next 3 days and you shouldn't have to wait.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can see an app crash every day in Windows Error Reporting but then the answer to that is run SFC and you have already. No actual GPU crashes I saw.

Your GPU is showing as missing a driver. if you look in system information screen .. Components/Problem devices it mentions the gpu - PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1AD8&SUBSYS_3FC11458&REV_A1\48&@D78ABBF&08&0308
DXDiag shows GPU as -
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1F08&SUBSYS_3FC11458&REV_A1

10DE = Nvidia - https://devicehunt.com/view/type/pci/vendor/10DE

Those numbers don't line up as it is the GPU but not the graphics functions.
Name: NVIDIA USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1ADA&SUBSYS_3FC11458&REV_A1\4&2D78AB8F&0&0208
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\USBXHCI.SYS, 10.00.18362.0207 (English), 8/7/2019 11:03:27, 531976 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\UMDF\UsbXhciCompanion.dll, 10.00.18362.0207 (English), 8/7/2019 11:03:27, 131960 bytes

I think the USB function is for VR. GPU likely doesn't have a physical USB slot (it might, I didn't look). I seem to recall 2060 have the ability to have them but very few cards actually do.

I might ask @axe0axe0 to have a look through them although he could be just as busy as I am this week so might not reply.
Seems the sysnative file includes dxdiag as well but I should have know that it would.

Kaitto

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
So the plot thickens? I don't use VR as I don't even own a VR set so it's yet another missing link to me.
Guess I'll just have to wait and see what axe0axe0 says then.

I could also try and wait for a new nVidia driver, I'm fairly sure a new one's almost out but not sure if that'll fix the issue.