Question BO3 (Steam) Crashes won't launch

Alex_124

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Ok so this is a problem countless people have ran into and now it is even happening in the new cod beta. Whenever bo3 is launched it just crashes with one of two error messages. NOW HOLD UP! I know exactly what yall bout to say
"Check the integrity of your game files"
"Clear your steam data cache"
"Perform a clean boot with all services and apps disabled"
"Reinstall the game"
"Reinstall steam"
"make sure to disable any overlays such as fps counters, overwolf, etc."
"make sure to have your antivirus exception cleared"
"check that you have the windows media feature installed"

Well let me tell you what I have done and have set on my computer. I have cleared the steam cache. Reinstalled the game, steam, checked file integrity. I have ran a clean boot (which halfway worked with the cod beta [still crashed on occasion but its a beta]). I have no antivirus, but made an exception with the windows firewall as a sanity check. Disabled steam overlay and geforce fps counter. Tried to run the media feature pack which gives me "the update is not applicable to your computer". Ran the troubleshooter (windows is dumb don't know what I expected)

Now the two error messages I tend to get are first that "Your game did not shut down properly during your last session, would you like to start in Safe Mode? " which if I click no, it closes and nothing happens. If I click yes, it says that steam must be running to play this game. The game did run a long time ago on my computer (90 hours played in the past no issues) but been a while since ive played (maybe a year or 2).

My greatest lead is that the beta halfway worked in a clean boot environment. This makes me believe it is some sort of service. I do have a razor keyboard but no software installed which wouldn't matter in a clean boot anyway. In the process of reinstalling steam (after game reinstall) I did have to change which hard drive steam is located (due to the single game library enforcement by steam). I simply added the directory and same issue again no change. All my other games boot fine after the steam reinstall so that's cool. This is very frustrating as I am pretty inclined with computers and can't find any non repetitive information.

My PC specs are
I5 6600k no overclock
Asus Gtx 1080
Windows 10
16Gb of DDR4 1666MHz ram
Asus 7170 pro gaming motherboard

Any new ideas would be greatly appreciated I have no clue what else to try. Please help

Alex_124

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Oh, I missed that, due to wording.

Are you able to right-click the game's .exe and select 'Run as Admin'?
I'm not sure how familiar you are with the troubleshooter but admin privs are part of the windows troubleshooting steps. let alone the app runs in admin mode because i exempt it from the windows firewall. I do appreciate your help though.