Question Boot-loop and shuts off, non stop

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
Hi everyone!

My issue is basically boot-loop, it first started when my PC was running normally on a fine morning,
I started some game and I had discord connected, everything is OK.
after a few minutes, the monitors went off but the system was still running and I was hearing discord channel people talking until 5 sec and then stopped,
and boot-loop never stops.

What I tried:
1. Replaced the PSU (power-supply) didn't make a difference, my PSU was totally fine, unfortunately.
2. Removed 2 RAM's (and used one on each slot to make sure if its functioning) same boot-loop, (chances of them being both dead? I don't know)
3. Removed the entire GPU, didn't make a difference.
4. Reset BIOS for sure, I don't remember that I overclocked anything except GPU.

I left the PC for months on dust, I thought maybe its either the Processor or the Motherboard is the issue,
If so, how can I tell if the issue is in one of them?

How is it boot-looping
Sometimes on first boot, it holds running to 4-6 seconds, then stops for a seconds, then boot-loops to nearly 3 seconds on same timing.
And nothing goes on the screen, I think it even doesn't gives a signal to the monitor that the PC is on.

I literally left the PC on dust and gave up, please help..
Thanks.

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
Just to clarify: I believe you meant to say desk - not dust. Correct?

Are you able to apply new thermal paste to the CPU?
No sorry, I meant dust like a metaphor, l left the PC for a few months, the PC should be booting without a hard-disk for sure.

Yes but will that be a solution? when the incident happened last time I applied thermal paste was 3 months before it probably.
can the CPU get that heat that it doesn't function? something else maybe?

Ralston18

Titan
Question: " the PC should be booting without a hard-disk for sure. " Clarify what you mean - is there or is there not a boot drive installed? If so, post make, model, capacity, connectivity, how full?

A CPU that gets hot, especially with thermal paste problems, will almost instantly thermally shut down to protect itself.

New paste, if of good quality and application, will conduct heat away for quite a long time.

If not of good quality or application, then the thermal paste's effectiveness will likely to be low or degrade over time.

Just as a matter of elimination, I would try a careful reapplication of thermal paste.

Take the opportunity to clean out dust and debris, reseat all components, tidy up cable management.

Use a bright flashlight to do inspect everything. Look for signs of damaged capacitors, pinched wires, metal to metal contact where none should exist.

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
Just as a matter of elimination, I would try a careful reapplication of thermal paste.

Take the opportunity to clean out dust and debris, reseat all components, tidy up cable management.

Use a bright flashlight to do inspect everything. Look for signs of damaged capacitors, pinched wires, metal to metal contact where none should exist.

I did try to recheck the thermal as you suggested, I can assure you it is no matter of thermal heat at all (plus I used a good thermal paste from before and again)

I tried removing the CPU hoping the motherboard will run, because some motherboard's do run without a CPU for specific reasons, mine didn't.
Which leads me to another reason: is the CPU dead because of Aging?
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-3470-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html
This is the CPU I'm having, its a bit old (8 Years launch date) but could that be a reason?

Because I can't take the motherboard as a reason, It looks very fine (when I inspected it)
and its either they function or not, correct?
- I also got a new RAM for testing, I'm still stuck in the same problem.
The PC is untouched for any damaged capacitors or pinched wires
And its very clean there is no dust or anything don't worry.

Its not even posting on the screen anything, it only boot-loops from 4-8 seconds on repeat
Also, electricity discharge could somehow affect the CPU? if for some reason suddenly my home electricity was unstable?

At this point what should I do, get a new CPU hoping it will work?

thank you so much for helping..

Ralston18

Titan
What are you expecting to see when you power up the motherboard without a CPU?

Reading back I realized that, for some reason, I did not request the full system hardware specs and OS.

Motherboard, GPU, RAM, drives (make, model, capacity, how full)?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?