Status
Not open for further replies.

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Windows 7 fails to boot up and says boot mgr missing.

I can get into bios and set hard drives for startup. SSD with windows 7 is set as primary.

windows 7 disc too old to repair or reinstall

Solution
That's a WindowsPE (preinstallation environment) you can look up software on google that will run in such an environment from usb or can have a look at the tools your disk already has installed chances are whoever sold you this already put a bunch of stuff on it.Just look for anything boot or bcd.It should include bcdedit since that is part of windows but it's tough to change things with it since it's command line only.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/bcdedit-command-line-options

For lazesoft you install it normally on a working PC and burn a disk/usb from within the software.

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Your computer can't load the startup files because the boot manager is damaged. You can download the Windows 7 tools from Microsoft and create a startup tool using the USB flash drive. Once you have your USB flash drive, first boot it in your BIOS and save your BIOS settings.

Your computer will load the startup files using the USB flash drive, once you're prompted in repair click that repair button and follow the onscreen instruction. If there are options to repair startup files click on it.

You can use also one of the options of the menu called use command prompted. And use the command chkdsk /f/r/x. This will repair the startup problem of your computer.

Reactions: anceintsz

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Your computer can't load the startup files because the boot manager is damaged. You can download the Windows 7 tools from Microsoft and create a startup tool using the USB flash drive. Once you have your USB flash drive, first boot it in your BIOS and save your BIOS settings.

Your computer will load the startup files using the USB flash drive, once you're prompted in repair click that repair button and follow the onscreen instruction. If there are options to repair startup files click on it.

You can use also one of the options of the menu called use command prompted. And use the command chkdsk /f/r/x. This will repair the startup problem of your computer.

Hello. That’s great. I did install windows 7 on USB and a disc, but that didn’t work.
Could you post a link to the startup tools needed?
Thanks.

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
As long as you have your licence you can download windows 7 from microsoft.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Lazesoft has a small recovery iso you can write to cd/usb to start and do the windows recovery,while it is a paid app it has a free version for home users that works fine.
Hello. Sorry for the late reply. I just recently installed windows to a USB and disc. Neither worked. But I found out thru a comment that I can download windows tools to repair.

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Hello. Sorry for the late reply. I just recently installed windows to a USB and disc. Neither worked. But I found out thru a comment that I can download windows tools to repair.
Hi Just follow my instructions, repair your windows using the USB tools,and using the command mode. To save your files and programs before you can format your HDD for new OS.

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
It's the link I gave you for windows,the installation media has a boot "partition" let's call it which has recovery tools alongside the installation tools.
You burn it to a usb or dvd, boot from it and follow combinedbasics instructions.
Hello. I believe I already done that. I put the disc image onto a usb and booted the broken pc. It said it was an incompatible version.

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Well then how about finding out what version you have on the disk and downloading the right one?
It has to be windows 7 and then you have to see if it's 32 or 64bit if you downloaded one and it doesn't work try the other.
It was a windows 7 home premium 64 disc image. Same as my pc.
If there’s an option to find versions, I don’t know where that is.

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Well then how about finding out what version you have on the disk and downloading the right one?
It has to be windows 7 and then you have to see if it's 32 or 64bit if you downloaded one and it doesn't work try the other.
I also used lazesoft. Chose to burn to usb. I formatted usb before burning to make a boot usb.

selected the usb and ticked the iso image box. It’s directory was the lazesoft folder. lsboot.iso
I dragged that to my usb and inserted into broken pc. Selected usb to boot thru bios. It just tells me boot mgr missing. No attempted setup.

what have I done wrong?

LDavis213

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Hello. Update. I bought a windows repair disc. It’s supposed to do a bit of everything. Including fix my problem. But what it’s done, is boot up what looks like windows 8 or 10. It’s an entire desktop. I can access start and command prompt. Is there anything I could do from here to repair? There weren’t any instructions that came with the disc.

That's a WindowsPE (preinstallation environment) you can look up software on google that will run in such an environment from usb or can have a look at the tools your disk already has installed chances are whoever sold you this already put a bunch of stuff on it.Just look for anything boot or bcd.It should include bcdedit since that is part of windows but it's tough to change things with it since it's command line only.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/bcdedit-command-line-options

For lazesoft you install it normally on a working PC and burn a disk/usb from within the software.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.