KarolisLTS

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
Hello, I'm currently using i5 6600(non k) with RX 480 and after 2 years I'm thinking about upgrading my gpu. Had a lot to choose from and I'm thinking about the GTX 1080. Other choice was GTX 1070, but here in my country the price difference between these used GPU's is pretty small, only about 45USD. One of the most troubling thing about upgrading was the CPU bottleneck. I've read a lot of forums about this and similar duos and opinions are very different. Some say it doesn't bottleneck at all, some, that it's even worse after upgrading to higher end GPU like 1080, doesn't matter if the game they are playing is more GPU or CPU demanding. And btw, I don't really have money to upgrade GPU and CPU at the same time. So my questions are, what's your opinion about this duo, will it CPU bottleneck and is it worth upgrading into this GPU? I would like to play in stable 1080p 60hz, but if it would work I'd like to push the resolution up to 1440p.

Solution
You would be fine at either 1080P 60hz or even 144hz with that CPU. ANd you would also be fine going up to 1440P which I recommend.

You may see a tiny bottleneck in CPU heavy games but even then its doubtful. Unless you can get a very very good deal on a used 6700 or 7700 CPU then IMO just use what you have until you can get a new Ryzen 3000 or Intel 8 or 9 series system.
You would be fine at either 1080P 60hz or even 144hz with that CPU. ANd you would also be fine going up to 1440P which I recommend.

You may see a tiny bottleneck in CPU heavy games but even then its doubtful. Unless you can get a very very good deal on a used 6700 or 7700 CPU then IMO just use what you have until you can get a new Ryzen 3000 or Intel 8 or 9 series system.

Reactions: KarolisLTS
Solution

anotthatgreatdane

Reputable
Nov 15, 2019
Mainly AAA singleplayers like The Witcher 3, Borderlands 3, RDR2, etc.

Allright these are GPU heavy. Id think youd be fine with that upgrade (even though the 480 should still run those ok)
Might be a small bottleneck (or an investment bc the gpu should run next gen games).
And you can do a complete mobo cpu ram upgrade then.
Economically id probably be smarter to upgrade the cpu first bc they dont drop in price like gpus.

Reactions: KarolisLTS