Question Bought a new rig but getting high temperature issues ?

Oshi_sensei

Prominent
Oct 28, 2019
I just bought a new rig, the specs are below. I am however getting temperature issues where any game I run goes 80C+ about 5 minutes into gameplay. I don't think this is good for the longevity of the CPU. I asked the company where I bought this from (pre-built PC), and they mentioned that im using an AMD Stock cooler, which im guessing is not great and is the reason its going this high? Is it possible to advise if this is likely the case? And also what CPU cooler you think I should buy that will resolve this issue for me?

My specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
GPU: RTX 3080
Ram: 32GB DDR4
PSU: COOLER MASTER MWE GOLD V2 FULLY MODULAR 750W

Oshi_sensei

Prominent
Oct 28, 2019
AMD rate anything under 85C as perfectly fine and its only at 95c you need to be concerned.

What case is it? How many intake/exhaust fans?

Thanks for the response! So AMD CPUs are treated differently to other CPUs where over 80 is actually fine? I figured it was a universal thing that this is considered bad temps for CPU, but that was just assumption from my side.

The case I'm using is CORSAIR 4000X. It has 3 fans on the front of it, and one in middle (which I guess is the cooler?). I linked images below:

View: https://imgur.com/a/yj9oGds

So is this fine as it is?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Thanks for the response! So AMD CPUs are treated differently to other CPUs where over 80 is actually fine? I figured it was a universal thing that this is considered bad temps for CPU

AMD say its fine, so its fine :whistle:

Honestly though it's surprising to see such high temps from a stock cooler in a case with good airflow like that. These Ryzen 5 chips do run very hot and have a high power consumption, even compared with a couple of years ago.

I think you would definitely benefit from something like a Corsair H80i dumping all that heat out the back of the case and acting as an extractor fan for all those front fans. A cooler like that should be able to get it down to the mid 60s.

Colif

Win 11 Master
2.5 intakes (given shroud blocks half of bottom fan) should be enough but yeah, an exhaust fan on rear to suck any lingering heat out of case would help. The intakes should blow most of it out.

AMD don't have to be in the same room, so 85C is easy for them to say. Especially in an air conditioned office. Out in real world, ambient temps vary more and I wouldn't want to be in a room with 80c temps occurring without a source of cool air. Especially in summer. depends on climate. I live in a warmer area in summer so I went nuts with cooling and then we had a mild summer. Maybe next year.

I have a 240mm aio and I have to remember to track my temps in a game I play as my pc always seems to be same temps at idle, 36-41c range. My 3600XT hit a max of 72c all day and that might have been boot up, I played a game for several hours and max in hwinfo still shows max core temp of 72C. So I don't know how hot it makes PC but its not any warmer than boot.

Oshi_sensei

Prominent
Oct 28, 2019
2.5 intakes (given shroud blocks half of bottom fan) should be enough but yeah, an exhaust fan on rear to suck any lingering heat out of case would help. The intakes should blow most of it out.

AMD don't have to be in the same room, so 85C is easy for them to say. Especially in an air conditioned office. Out in real world, ambient temps vary more and I wouldn't want to be in a room with 80c temps occurring without a source of cool air. Especially in summer. depends on climate. I live in a warmer area in summer so I went nuts with cooling and then we had a mild summer. Maybe next year.

I have a 240mm aio and I have to remember to track my temps in a game I play as my pc always seems to be same temps at idle, 36-41c range. My 3600XT hit a max of 72c all day and that might have been boot up, I played a game for several hours and max in hwinfo still shows max core temp of 72C. So I don't know how hot it makes PC but its not any warmer than boot.

I see, so how does that work exactly? Do you mean I have to remove the cooler I currently have with something more effective? how exactly do I set it up so that it releases air from the back? And which cooler you think will do the job? I've never actually done any PC building ¬¬

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Downdraft coolers in chassis that are trending with side glass panels may as well be an automatic cooler replacement.

These coolers work best with a side intake over them and exhausts at the rear and top.
You have no side intake, so the cooler is cooling off the 3080's exhaust instead, and you have no exhaust fans in the chassis.

Oshi_sensei

Prominent
Oct 28, 2019
Downdraft coolers in chassis that are trending with side glass panels may as well be an automatic cooler replacement.

These coolers work best with a side intake over them and exhausts at the rear and top.
You have no side intake, so the cooler is cooling off the 3080's exhaust instead, and you have no exhaust fans in the chassis.
Ah sorry I'm legit very slow when it comes to tech explanations haha. What changes exactly are suggesting I should make?

Colif

Win 11 Master
realises case isn't the mesh front one... I had hoped it had a side vent in rear like others in family - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011204-WW

a 240mm AIO on front still might be cooler than the 3 intake fans can achieve, for CPU anyway. Wouldn't change GPU temps regardless of radiator position, but I wouldn't put an AIO above a 3080 in any case.

AIO on front and 2 of the intake fans as exhaust. Keep CPU chilly in most circumstances.

@Phaaze88 probably has a few suggestions :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What changes exactly are suggesting I should make?
Replace the cooler, that's all I'm suggesting.
A tower air cooler - it doesn't share the same limitations with a downdraft. The 4000X has 170mm of clearance to work with those.

Or a hybrid cooler. If you're going to mount it up top, go with the biggest one you can fit up there; it has to cope with the cpu and the gpu's exhaust.
If you're gonna mount one at the front, move the 3 preinstalled RGB fans to the rear and top slots.

Oshi_sensei

Prominent
Oct 28, 2019
Replace the cooler, that's all I'm suggesting.
A tower air cooler - it doesn't share the same limitations with a downdraft. The 4000X has 170mm of clearance to work with those.

Or a hybrid cooler. If you're going to mount it up top, go with the biggest one you can fit up there; it has to cope with the cpu and the gpu's exhaust.
If you're gonna mount one at the front, move the 3 preinstalled RGB fans to the rear and top slots.

Sorry just to get some further clarity here, for the hybrid cooler, you are suggesting I create an arrangement like the below? More specifically the Left / Upward arrows as I already have intake fans in place. If so, do you have a list of suggested hardware that could match that requirement given the size of my case that is better than the amd stock cooler im currently using?

View: https://imgur.com/a/J6ZGsyJ