Question Bought RTX2060 and can't start some games

Bluzii

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
So as the title says, I bought an RTX2060 recently and I can't play some games. For example, I can play softer games like Frostpunk, CS:GO, (...) but when I try to start 'heavier' games like Forza or NBA2k21 it just opens a window and then closes, nothing more.

I've updated the drivers through GeForce Experience and tried cleaning through DDU and the problem still persists. Also checked for any extra drivers update manually on the control panel and nothing.

I saw some random guy saying a reinstallation would be enough for it to work because the games were running based on my old GPU (1050ti).

I'll leave my specs here:
  • i5-9400F
  • RTX2060 6GB
  • Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance 16GB
  • ATX Gyigabyte Z390 D
  • Corsair CV650 (650W)

Ralston18

Titan
I would not go with a Windows reinstall at this time. There are other things that can be and should be done beforehand.

And a reinstall must be properly planned out and executed. After full backups are made and verified in advance.

How old is that Corsair PSU? Heavy and long time use for gaming?

My thought is that the PSU may not be up to the power demands of the new GPU.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors that are captured when games fail to load.

Also manually download and reinstall the RTX 2060 GPU drivers. No third party installers.

Bluzii

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
How old is that Corsair PSU? Heavy and long time use for gaming?

My thought is that the PSU may not be up to the power demands of the new GPU.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors that are captured when games fail to load.

The PSU is brand new. I checked that a RTX2060 needed a minimum of 500W and a recommended 650W. And if that was the problem I presume that the computer would restart and not just turn off the game. But I don't really know.

UPDATE: I tried starting the game and check WEV and nothing appeared, the last entry was an information one from 5 minutes ago.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The PSU is brand new. I checked that a RTX2060 needed a minimum of 500W and a recommended 650W. And if that was the problem I presume that the computer would restart and not just turn off the game. But I don't really know.

UPDATE: I tried starting the game and check WEV and nothing appeared, the last entry was an information one from 5 minutes ago.

If it's brand new, I'd return it and get something more appropriate. This is an excellent PSU for entry-level builds (ones that use things like a GT 1030 with no supplemental power) and everyday office, casual builds for office applications or web surfing. For a midrange GPU that requires supplementary power and now costs an obscene amount of money to replace? Certainly not a good choice; this is a PSU a midrange gaming build upgrades from not to.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I had a problem with Steam games recently that was similar. I had to uninstall the games that wouldn't boot, uninstall Steam, reboot, reinstall Steam, make sure it was up to date, then reinstall the games that wouldn't run and it was fixed. Something in my Steam folder must have gotten corrupted.