Question Bought the RTX 3080ti and I'm getting really low FPS on low end games

Aug 30, 2022
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6 Core Socket AM4 3.8GHz CPU Processor
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080ti 12GB
MB: AORUS ELITE WIFI X570 ATX
Ram: 2 X 8 GBS 3000MHZ G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO v 3600 (16gb)
PSU: Corsair CX Series CX750F 750W RGB 80+ Bronze Fully Modular Power Supply
I ran it on low end indie games and even at medium settings with settings such as ambient occlusion and bloom off. I barely get 40, and on higher end games I'm struggling to even get 60(such as fallout or Destiny 2)

No idea whats going on

Quite often it is just a case of the CPU not being able to feed the video card. I will guess that if you increased a lot of video quality settings that it would not slow down by much. What would be interesting is if you have a second monitor and can view the task manager graphs of CPU load and GPU load, then most likely the CPU is maxed out and the GPU is using only a small amount of its power. You might also have a method of in-game display of CPU load and GPU load and it is likely CPU is maxed out. Assuming a graphics setting for quality is something which runs on the GPU, then turning up quality likely won't hurt (but it does possibly increase the data that has to be copied so higher quality won't necessarily be completely free).

You could use the GeForce Experience app and tell it to "tune" for your game, but there is only so much one can accomplish if the CPU can't keep up. You could for example upgrade the CPU to a 3700X (which should work on the same motherboard) and you'd see a significant bump in performance, but that GPU would still not come even close to maxing out.

Almost forgot: If your RAM in the motherboard is not running at full speed, then this will slow things down a lot. Check if your XMP profile is enabled.