[SOLVED] Brand new laptop, Thermal throttling even at 40-50% of CPU Usage.

mrkirawar

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
Hello guys, so I bought a brand new laptop 2 days ago - acer aspire 7 a715-72G-75QE, after installing an OS I finally started using it properly, so I tested how it does when I overload it with a little bit of work, well it turns out its condition is not too good, after playing a game or using a little more demanding programs it starts to lag like every 1-3 minutes (if im playing a game for example and its constant 100-130 fps then it suddenly drops to 20-30fps for like 1-3 secs). I started monitoring it and as far as I could see the CPU Usage never EVER goes above 50% (except when im using intel extreme tunning utillity)BUT the temps(I used realtemp to monitor the temps) around this percent of usage are always around 90-99C and never drops bellow 80C if its 40% CPU usage or above. When I stress tested it with Intels extreme tunning utillity the stat "Thermal Throttling" always says "Yes" throughout the whole 4min test and there is another stat "Power Limiting Throttling" that checks "yes" like every 40 seconds or so.
The laptop specs are:
i7 8750H
Nvidia GTX 1050 4GB
8GB DDR4
1T HDD
My question is if this is normal for laptops and if I could return this product for being defective, because it has a warranty of 24 months and I think theres a policy of being able to return a product within the first 14 days.
I don't think thats supposed to happen even if its a laptop especially at only 40-50% of cpu usage, but Im not 100% sure because I have never used a more powerful laptop before.

Thanks for reply in advance!

Solution
Well Good
I know it sucks paying out the bucks for electronics and start getting use to them but have to send them away for whatever reasons.
The good thing is you noticed it soon enough.
There is 1 more piece of advice,
Check your manufacturer's website for recovery media.
I also have a Lenovo AMD laptop the recovery media was a free download for 1 year only.
On my asus it will cost me $45- 50.
The media is everthing on each it's own system and Will Return it to the factory in box on store shelf state.
Hopefully we never need it but better to have it then not have it and need it.
That and periodic system image backups on a flashdrive would help in emergencies.

mrkirawar

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
Hi, I was monitoring for a while now, it seems that it thermal throttels randomly even when abosolutely nothing is being done on it I only have my torrent opened and the Intel utility program, the CPU usage is around 2-8% but it randomly throttels (often at that) even thou the cpu doesnt go above 10% and sometimes the package temp jumps to 80C even 91C while cpu being at 5% usage. Sometimes it says it thermal throttles although the package temps shows to be around 60-70C. Is it possible that the program is incorrect, and if it does show correctly this should be some kind of a problem with the cooling of the laptop correct? Im keeping it on a clean desk with enough space behind it and the room temperature is around 18C, so it should be okay naturally.

Last edited:
If you have a couple of the same objects say a bottle cap put 1 under each corner at the rear of the lapto to left it up off the desk..
Alot of laptops intake vents are under the laptop.

2nd go into setting to windows power plan
Scroll down to processor power management
Look @ minimum processor power state.
Set it to 5%.
Then recheck what it's doing.

Reactions: mrkirawar

mrkirawar

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I returned the laptop, I mean Im not going to pay for a product that cannot even work properly, if their product cant work properly with more than 5% Usage of the CPU why did they put such powerful CPU in the first place? Is that how computer engineering works? I tested 2 computers and another laptop with the intel utility and none of them had thermal throttling even when the CPU is under stress test and on 100% Usage for 5 minutes and more, whereas this particular laptop thermal throttels even when aboslutely nothing is being done or running in the background.

mrkirawar

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
I mean I might aswell put it in the fridge, I dont think I should be the one searching for ways to fix issues like this, the company itself should see that problem and come up with a reasonable solution like adding more powerful cooling system or not producing and selling laptops that cannot use more than 10% of its cpu power because its going to thermal throttel. Isnt that like basic stuff a professional company should really try and do correctly?

Yes they should.
We have different brands but same cpu's and its seems to be common issue.
If you have tried those things suggested
What has the results been?
With those you can try your tech support.
See what they say if you still have time on your return period helping you decide, whether to keep it and undervolt or return it and try something else.

mrkirawar

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
No I haven't tried them but I got a call from Acer services and they said that the laptop indeed had a technical problem, they said it's fixed now and that I will be receiving it back soon. When I get it back I'll test how it works again and tell you how it does and if it's any different.

Well Good
I know it sucks paying out the bucks for electronics and start getting use to them but have to send them away for whatever reasons.
The good thing is you noticed it soon enough.
There is 1 more piece of advice,
Check your manufacturer's website for recovery media.
I also have a Lenovo AMD laptop the recovery media was a free download for 1 year only.
On my asus it will cost me $45- 50.
The media is everthing on each it's own system and Will Return it to the factory in box on store shelf state.
Hopefully we never need it but better to have it then not have it and need it.
That and periodic system image backups on a flashdrive would help in emergencies.

Solution

mrkirawar

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
I got it back and it works totally fine now, it doesn't thermal throttel at all even when its being stress tested, I no longer expirience fps drops nor are the temperatures as high as before. I guess the laptop has well designed cooling system it just happend to have a problem with the thermal paste. Thanks again for the helpful advice and fast response.